Sub 4 minute mile (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting read and argument of being one of sports greatest achievements

I read an article years ago saying that a bunch of scientists determined that the absolute fastest a human being could run the 100 meter dash was 9.3 seconds (that number may not be right but it was something like that)

Scientists were wrong about breaking the 4 minute mile, are they wrong about 100 meters too?
========================

Perhaps it takes one sporting giant to truly appreciate the towering performance of another.

Exactly 70 years ago today, Sir Roger Bannister became the first person to run a mile in under four minutes, a target that existed purely in the realms of the fantastical until, on that blustery Oxford day in 1954, he subverted the possible.

How good was it? Well, when I asked Sebastian Coe to put it into a wider context last week, he replied: “On every metric, I think it is arguably at the top of all sporting achievements in the last 100 years.”

That is high praise indeed from someone who was himself a double Olympic champion and broke multiple world records. And while the fact that Bannister’s time of 3min 59.4sec chopped two seconds off the previous world record is staggering enough, that was only part of Coe’s case.

“People don’t appreciate the mental barrier that he also had to break through,” he pointed out. “He was a doctor. And he would say to me: ‘I used to read articles in medical journals saying that if anybody tried it, they would probably die in the process’.”

Coe acknowledged other significant obstacles: Bannister grew up on wartime rations, raced on a cinder track more suitable to speedway than fast times, and wore racing spikes so heavy that, when Coe held them decades later, he found that one weighed more than his two modern shoes combined.

Bannister also held down a full-time job and when he and Coe compared their training diaries before they broke their mile world records, they both laughed: “I probably did in three days the intensity of what he did in a week and a half,” says Coe of his good friend.…….

Last edited:
‘sporting feat’ is doing way too much work here
Distance running is just too basic an athletic activity for it to be ‘more impressive’
Than tennis or basketball or boxing or soccer or (add 20 additional sports)
And you’re competing against an abstract concept like time - competing against humans, esp if you overcome ridiculous underdog odds seem a bigger ‘feat’

‘sporting feat’ is doing way too much work here
Distance running is just too basic an athletic activity for it to be ‘more impressive’
Than tennis or basketball or boxing or soccer or (add 20 additional sports)
And you’re competing against an abstract concept like time - competing against humans, esp if you overcome ridiculous underdog odds seem a bigger ‘feat’
would dancing be a better measure of 'sporting feat'?

though, i've always called it 'athlete's foot'.

would dancing be a better measure of 'sporting feat'?

though, i've always called it 'athlete's foot'.
While not specifically dance, there are plenty of cirque du soleil acts that are more impressive

Plenty of ballet variations requiring both adagio and allegro skills that are near superhuman

And imagine both the physical and mental skills required to stay on top overall in a gymnastics competition

I think Kipchoge breaking the two hour marathon record was more impressive. Given that he had to average a mile time of like 4:30. Doing that once is a feat. Doing it for two hours is insane.

While not specifically dance, there are plenty of cirque du soleil acts that are more impressive

Plenty of ballet variations requiring both adagio and allegro skills that are near superhuman

And imagine both the physical and mental skills required to stay on top overall in a gymnastics competition
i have no clue what any of that means, but since you are old and wise, i'll roll with it.

i have no clue what any of that means, but since you are old and wise, i'll roll with it.
Without looking it up, I know allegro = fast and adaigo = slow (musical terms).

I know very little about ballet, but I'll just assume those map to movements which are quick/athletic/dynamic (allegro), like leaps, twirls, etc. vs. those that are slow, even static (adaigo), where they are holding/stretching part of their body, like yoga, which show grace/poise.

Without looking it up, I know allegro = fast and adaigo = slow (musical terms).

I know very little about ballet, but I'll just assume those map to movements which are quick/athletic/dynamic (allegro), like leaps, twirls, etc. vs. those that are slow, even static (adaigo), where they are holding/stretching part of their body, like yoga, which show grace/poise.
check out the big brain on DCSaints_Fan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom