More on Saints 1st round pick (#14) OT - Taliese Fuaga (1 Viewer)

Respectfully disagree, we have needs at a few positions, the rest I would call "wants"....Needs are immediate concerns....like it or not QB and WR are not needs, neither is CB, LB IMO.....QB will likely become more of a need in the next few years or if Carr totally flames out (I hope that he doesn't).....I'm not counting on Haener ever being our long term starter, at least at this point....

I hope the Latt trade garbage dies down because he is still one of the best cover corners out there....
You can argue anything is a need, on a scale of 1-10.
I agree with you, but say DE for instance. Not much of an immediate need, for starters/depth, but after next season who knows if Cam Jordan retires or Chase Young isn’t re-signed? If BPA falls to you is also the perfect to fill this almost definite future need, you have a clear vision of a need this player is filling. It’s not black and white.

You can argue anything is a need, on a scale of 1-10.
I agree with you, but say DE for instance. Not much of an immediate need, for starters/depth, but after next season who knows if Cam Jordan retires or Chase Young isn’t re-signed? If BPA falls to you is also the perfect to fill this almost definite future need, you have a clear vision of a need this player is filling. It’s not black and white.

You can define it however you want, but I like my definition (of course).....but to put it into proper context I would argue that need's are more immediate, wants are more how you describe future needs, and there is nothing wrong with taking BPA to fill a want (or future need if you will)....most of the successful teams draft in this manner IMO.....

You can define it however you want, but I like my definition (of course).....but to put it into proper context I would argue that need's are more immediate, wants are more how you describe future needs, and there is nothing wrong with taking BPA to fill a want (or future need if you will)....most of the successful teams draft in this manner IMO.....
I'd agree 100% with you if we were a solid playoff contender, but we just picked 14th after having one of the easiest schedules ever. IMO, this team needs an infusion of young talent across the board due to age and poor contract management. It's a different mindset.

LB's another example. Does Davis retire after this season? Will Werner be extended? We'll see about Willie Gay, but we don't really have anything behind them. Short Term- You can't expect each player to play every game, and you need at least one legitimate rotational player. Long Term- It's probable that we may need to replace both players next off-season with either low budget FA signings or draft picks. We have situations like this throughout the roster.

Can Loomis pull the miracle and get us a guy who can play alot this coming season? That's the big question to me.

By the way, the QB I like best in later rounds is Jordan Travis. Very poised guy.

What stood out to me the most..

"Taliese Fuaga gave up ZERO sacks on 734 pass blocking snaps at his time at Oregon State"

.. ZERO @ 734!!!!..that's how you do it right there!..

NW.

I'd agree 100% with you if we were a solid playoff contender, but we just picked 14th after having one of the easiest schedules ever. IMO, this team needs an infusion of young talent across the board due to age and poor contract management. It's a different mindset.

LB's another example. Does Davis retire after this season? Will Werner be extended? We'll see about Willie Gay, but we don't really have anything behind them. Short Term- You can't expect each player to play every game, and you need at least one legitimate rotational player. Long Term- It's probable that we may need to replace both players next off-season with either low budget FA signings or draft picks. We have situations like this throughout the roster.

I think we are arguing semantics here, I agree with most of above but I also maintain that needs are immediate and picks to bolster depth and future starters are wants, it's just how I define them....

I am always very pleased to get a really good offensive linemen. I know their value from being a merely adequate guard for six years back eons ago. He sounds like he is going to be a potentially great one for us. Good pick. Thanks for all the informative articles too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom