Saints sign LB Khaleke Hudson (1 Viewer)

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't know anything about the guy. Just saw him being used to rush off the edge in a two point stance in the videos above and wondered if he was the Baun replacement.
That's understandable. Since it took literally everyone else getting hurt before we'd even put someone Baun's size in that role, that's why I don't see us planning to put the even smaller Hudson there.

That's understandable. Since it took literally everyone else getting hurt before we'd even put someone Baun's size in that role, that's why I don't see us planning to put the even smaller Hudson there.

Underhill has said several times that the team has indicated that they are now willing to sign/draft smaller/faster Edge guys now given the extensive use of three step drops and mobile QBs these days. He's mentioned that they do really like Dallas Turner despite his size. But, I'll believe it when I see it.

Underhill has said several times that the team has indicated that they are now willing to sign/draft smaller/faster Edge guys now given the extensive use of three step drops and mobile QBs these days. He's mentioned that they do really like Dallas Turner despite his size. But, I'll believe it when I see it.
thats interesting. I will believe it when I see it too...but it would be nice change.

Interesting. I wonder if they see him as a true LB or more of a 3rd down pass rusher in the Baun type role? I know nothing about the guy, but the videos above seem to show him with some Edge rushing ability. But, maybe it's really more about special teams with the new kickoff rules and LBs likely being the choice for covering kicks with the new rules.
With new kickoffs quickness and strength is probably going to be way more important than speed - I could see kick teams being one kicker and 10 LBs - I mean it won’t be, but it wouldn’t surprise me
LBs and heavy nickle safeties

With new kickoffs quickness and strength is probably going to be way more important than speed - I could see kick teams being one kicker and 10 LBs - I mean it won’t be, but it wouldn’t surprise me

Could give Smyth a leg up (pun intended) over Grupe. Kickers may actually have to make some tackles in the new system and at 6' 4", 210 Lbs. Smyth is no doubt better at that than 5' 7", 157 Lbs. Grupe. Plus he has a Gaelic football background which I think is similar to Australian Rules Football. But, I'm sure Smyth would at least have to show that he's an equal FG kicker to Grupe for that to come into play.

A good signing. I think it is in response to the new kickoff rules. I think teams will be carrying more linebacker / safety types that are agile and good tacklers.

This!

I doubt there will be any linemen in the new kickoff coverage/return game.

LBs, Safeties, Fullbacks, Tight Ends, small Edge types, and possibly larger RBs and WRs will make up the kickoff coverage/return teams.

The short distance apart will require blockers and rushers to be quicker and more athletic than before in order to move into position quickly to set up blocking schemes in the return game and the kicking team will need to be able to disengage from blocks and be able to move faster from sideline to sideline.

Hudson could not only fill a spot as a core special teamer, but D.A. may find hybrid situational defensive snaps where he plays in a role of a 3rd safety in the box as a blitzer or a cover spy 3rd LB on mobile quarterbacks in 3rd and long plays.

Last edited:
Here's a little information Khaleke Hudson- LB (6'0"/220#) Drafted 5th Rnd. 2020 Draft.

I went back and watched some games of Hudson from Michigan and Washington Commanders and this what I came up with.

Hudson shows the short area quickness, but not the long speed. He's a very good special teams player, he has the ability to challenge punts. Hudson uses the same get off on punt blocks as he does as a pass rusher. He can get to the QB and be disruptive in the backfield. Hudson is a very solid tackler and provides some pop when doing so. He ain't scared to mix it up with the bigger bodies when chasing down a ball carrier. Hudson is a high motor guy who doesn't give up on plays. He is solid in short and intermediate zone coverages.

My final analysis on Hudson to play the WLB and needs to play near the line of scrimmage as that's where he'll get his best production. His lack of length, being only 6' can be a detriment to what he can provide on defense. He has problems disengaging from blocks in the run game. He also has some experience playing as an in the box Safety. In my opinion, he could play that Safety-Backer hybrid role, it's what suits him best. What I see right now is that Hudson is just depth at LB with a lot of focus on special teams. He can also rush the passer if needed.

4.56 combine speed.

We are definitely making a strong effort to upgrade our overall athleticism at LB.

Smh I appreciate role players and special teams guys but wake me up when we sign difference makers and not role players. We have not signed many true difference maker minus the potential of Chase young and a solid talented Willie gay. Nothing at positions we truly need it like tackle or guard or, receiver or even TE.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom