Rookie Jersey #'s? (2 Viewers)

I am amazed that people pay the prices that jerseys cost these days. I am doubly amazed that people would pay said price before the start of the regular season.
Yeah, I hear yeah. My faith is strong in Fuaga. I hope to get many years out of his jersey. (I really hear ya though.) this will be a fun post to look back on in 10 years when jerseys are $700 a pop. ;)

Oh goody. It's a golden opportunity for another version of my rant on how much I DESPISE the new, liberalized jersey numbering chaos. Linebackers wearing 20. Defensive linemen wearing single digits. It just muddies up the game and confuses the spectators. It probably confuses the officials about who's eligible as well, and it's all they can do to get to the level of sub-competency they have "achieved" as it is now. Ugh ugh ugh 🤮

Last edited:
It probably confuses the officials about who's eligible as well, and it's all they can do to get to the level of sub-competency they have "achieved" as it is now.
This bit is actually about as simple as it gets and always has been: 50-79 ineligible*, everything else eligible.

* Unless reported in before the play.

Oh goody. It's a golden opportunity for another version of my rant on how much I DESPISE the new, liberalized jersey numbering chaos. Linebackers wearing 20. Defensive linemen wearing single digits. It just muddies up the game and confuses the spectators. It probably confuses the officials about who's eligible as well, and it's all they can do to get to the level of sub-competency they have "achieved" as it is now. Ugh ugh ugh 🤮

Many QBs hate it. Makes it a lot more confusing to identify players’ positions on defense. Used to be much easier.

Many QBs hate it. Makes it a lot more confusing to identify players’ positions on defense. Used to be much easier.
Not sure I agree. NFL QBs regularly have to read the defensive alignment, determine who the Mike is, regardless of whether it's a traditional LB, Safety or Nickel lined up there. The changing of a few number ranges can't disguise/confuse that much.

Not sure I agree. NFL QBs regularly have to read the defensive alignment, determine who the Mike is, regardless of whether it's a traditional LB, Safety or Nickel lined up there. The changing of a few number ranges can't disguise/confuse that much.

One of if not the greatest QB of all time completely disagrees with you…

The number rule is crazy. Literally, guys changed their numbers today. I’m playing two guys who had different numbers in the preseason. So, yeah, you’ve got to watch film and know who you’re studying but so do running backs. They’ve got to know who to block. So does the offensive line. So does the receivers who are adjusting their routes based on blitzes. So one guys has got a 6, one guy has 11, one guy has got a 9. And they change every play when you break your routes and get to your spot. It’s going to be a very challenging thing. It’s a good advantage for the defense, which that’s what it is. It would be like saying, 'What if I let the offensive linemen wear 82 and No. 9?' They wouldn’t know who was eligible. Well, that’s not fair. You’ll get your tail kicked. At least identify who the D-line, the linebackers and the safeties are. You’re going to have a lot of matchups where guys are blocking the wrong guys. I don’t know why that should be.

Brady's reasoning aligns with the reason he was originally ticked off a few months ago, when an Instagram of his read: "Good luck trying to block the right people now !! !! going to make for a lot of bad football."

One of if not the greatest QB of all time completely disagrees with you…

I feel like Brady just wanted attention there and knew no one would check his preparation on that. Film study and a quick look at the weekly opponent’s roster/depth chart would easily tell the QB who the Mike, Nickel or Safeties are.

If the defensive coordinator switched the Mike and Will around or line up a Safety at LB in certain plays frequently, traditional jersey numbers aren’t helping there. It’s easy to identify players (blitzers* & coverage*) just by where they’re lined up on the field.

Players aren’t prepared for their opponent in the most basic way if they’re assuming alignments or positions based on the jersey.

Last edited:
I feel like Brady just wanted attention there and knew no one would check his preparation on that. Film study and a quick look at the weekly opponent’s roster/depth chart would easily tell the QB who the Mike, Nickel or Safeties are.

If the defensive coordinator switched the Mike and Will around or line up a Safety at LB in certain plays frequently, traditional jersey numbers aren’t helping there. It’s easy to identify players just by where they’re lined up on the field.

Players aren’t prepared for their opponent in the most basic way if they’re assuming alignments or positions based on the jersey.

Ok…here’s Patrick Mahomes:

A lot of these LOS decisions are quick, involve peripheral vision, and the last thing QBs want to be doing is trying to recall what DLs/LBs have single digit numbers (or whatever) when it was much easier the old way. And it isn’t just a QB problem. It gives the OL fits too.

A lot of these LOS decisions are quick, involve peripheral vision, and the last thing QBs want to be doing is trying to recall what DLs/LBs have single digit numbers (or whatever) when it was much easier the old way. And it isn’t just a QB problem. It gives the OL fits too.
I understand their pov. It’s convenient and simple for them to read opposing defenses when the positions had set jersey # ranges. They basically have an issue with adjusting how they see the field. They don’t like doing something different after shortcutting it a certain way for so long.

Jersey #s shouldn’t be an issue if they take a few minutes to look at their opponent’s depth chart and watch film to see which players/jersey fronts are lined up at certain positions. It’s forcing some QBs and OL to spend a little more time paying attention to detail every week like they’re suppose to. They may have to forget-reset a lot of opponent info from film every week in that regard. But it’s apart of their job to know where opposing defenders are lined up ahead of the game.

I do not think its confusing to anyone, no way you mistake a 6'3 300lb DT for a CB because he's wearing #25, its just not esthetically appealing.

Except they had to be able to do it throughout their college careers. Because that's what the numbering rule has been (or extremely similar) in the NCAA for a long, long time.

Here's another interpretation: Ultra competitive QBs didn't like one of their NFL band aids being ripped off. Boo hoo. My heart bleeds for them.

Except they had to be able to do it throughout their college careers. Because that's what the numbering rule has been (or extremely similar) in the NCAA for a long, long time.

Here's another interpretation: Ultra competitive QBs didn't like one of their NFL band aids being ripped off. Boo hoo. My heart bleeds for them.

I don’t think I need to go into detail about how much more sophisticated and nuanced the NFL game is compared to the college level; I mean we are talking night and day differences not just in terms of game strategy but also in terms of game speed.

Quite honestly, I don’t understand how any of this is even being debated.

I’ll go ahead and let Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes’ expertise speak for me, and put a bow on this.

No. 18 might just be a one-year deal for Rattler until either 7 or 2 comes available next year.

True about the Archie love, though. Our old franchise QB from the ‘70s is quoted in a story in the Mississippi Today online publication singing Rattler’s praises.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom