Updated 2025 comp pick projection (Saints *should* get one 7th round pick) (1 Viewer)

"Should" is a bit strong. Isaac Yiadom is now the player we are counting on to get that pick, and he's right on the border of qualifying. If he doesn't, we won't get that pick (not that the pick matters much; it's literally near the very end of the draft). If he gets hurt and doesn't play much, or just reverts to his old self and hardly sees the field, that hurts us.

What I find interesting is the dialogue surrounding the Broncos and our old friend Malcolm Roach:
  • "Speaking of the Broncos, they elected to cut Justin Simmons and bring in Brandon Jones as a CFA, and also signed Malcolm Roach to a CFA worthy contract despite the Franklin-Myers acquisition later. Those actions caused them to get a 4th rounder for Lloyd Cushenberry going to the Titans cancelled out."
While a Payton-led team is not known for playing the comp pick game, if it's at all close between the newly acquired Franklin-Myers and Roach for the backup DT spot, it would make a lot of sense for the rebuilding Broncos to cut Roach at cut-down time and thus be in line for that fourth round pick. Of course, if we have an opening at that time and are interested, we could then sign Roach at no draft pick cost.

"Should" is a bit strong. Isaac Yiadom is now the player we are counting on to get that pick, and he's right on the border of qualifying. If he doesn't, we won't get that pick (not that the pick matters much; it's literally near the very end of the draft).

What I find interesting is the dialogue surrounding the Broncos and our old friend Malcolm Roach:
  • "Speaking of the Broncos, they elected to cut Justin Simmons and bring in Brandon Jones as a CFA, and also signed Malcolm Roach to a CFA worthy contract despite the Franklin-Myers acquisition later. Those actions caused them to get a 4th rounder for Lloyd Cushenberry going to the Titans cancelled out."
While a Payton-led team is not known for playing the comp pick game, if it's at all close between the newly acquired Franklin-Myers and Roach for the backup DT spot, it would make a lot of sense for the rebuilding Broncos to cut Roach at cut-down time and thus be in line for that fourth round pick. Of course, if we have an opening at that time and are interested, we could then sign Roach at no draft pick cost.

Great points. Hopefully Yiadom has a good year.

I’m glad we’ll have all of our original picks in
rounds 1-6 again, especially in 3 & 4. We often have to rely on comp picks to make up for picks that we traded away during the previous draft. Yiadom’s projected 7th could put us at the standard # of picks.

Last edited:
personally I'd be surprised if it ends up being a first, more than likely a second + change

FWIW there is indeed limited precedent for pick swapping. Just recently the Cards and Eagles agreed to it over accusations surrounding the Cards hiring Gannon as their head coach.

I think that's not really an equivalent personally, because you're dealing with a position not covered by a union, the same CBA requirements, etc. But it's happened. I know Mike Florio mentioned it as a possibility still.

I think the likelihood is still forfeiture of a pick/picks, over a swap, but I suppose some mitigating circumstances could be there that none of us know about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom