Underhill hints at a Ram retirement (2 Viewers)

Yeah it certainly has seemed like a "plan to move forward without him and consider it a bonus if he contributes anything at all moving forward" situation. They didn't draft Fuaga to play LT. They drafted him to play RT and perhaps LT if necessary. I'd hang it up if I were Ram. The remainder of his life is already going to be a pain dealing with that knee. It's not worth causing more damage and struggling to walk in your 40's.

Basically we need to keep him on the books and IR for 2 years and the cap hit is much less. If he retired right now we’d be screwed. A little better next year. Dude just “rehab” for a couple of years on the payroll and help us out!
I imagine that's exactly what he's already doing, but not the sort of thing one goes out and broadcasts to the world.

Basically we need to keep him on the books and IR for 2 years and the cap hit is much less. If he retired right now we’d be screwed. A little better next year. Dude just “rehab” for a couple of years on the payroll and help us out!
If Ram retires in 4 weeks after June 1, his dead money will be 12M. His dead money decreases from 23M to 12M after June 1 this year. A couple extensions for AK and TH can cover that so it won’t eat up all of the current cap space. Ram’s 2025 cap hit is 29M and dead money will be 23M if he retires next year. The restructure and dead money will be higher in 2025-2026. It’d be better for the cap if he retires this year in June.

Someone explain cap implications if he retires? Is it better for us?

If Ram retires in 4 weeks after June 1, his dead money will be 12M. His dead money decreases after June 1 this year. A couple extensions for AK and TH can cover that. Ram’s 2025 cap is 29M and dead money will be 23M if he retires next year. The restructure and dead money will be higher in 2025-2026.

If Ram retires in 4 weeks after June 1, his dead money will be 12M. His dead money decreases after June 1 this year. A couple extensions for AK and TH can cover that. Ram’s 2025 cap hit is 29M and dead money will be 23M if he retires next year. The restructure and dead money will be higher in 2025-2026.
Wish I saw this before I asked haha thanks

If Ram retires in 4 weeks after June 1, his dead money will be 12M. His dead money decreases from 23M to 12M after June 1 this year. A couple extensions for AK and TH can cover that so it won’t eat up all of the current cap space. Ram’s 2025 cap hit is 29M and dead money will be 23M if he retires next year. The restructure and dead money will be higher in 2025-2026. It’d be better for the cap if he retires this year in June.
Well you have to factor in a restructure like dropping his base salary. I don’t know the numbers but if drops again next year like he did this year then you’re quoted amounts would likely decrease. Seems like quite a few players have been doing this such as Malcolm Jenkins recently.

Well you have to factor in a restructure like dropping his base salary. I don’t know the numbers but if drops again next year like he did this year then you’re quoted amounts would likely decrease. Seems like quite a few players have been doing this such as Malcolm Jenkins recently.
According to OTC, a 2025 restructure is projected to be 12.55M, versus 12.29M after June 1 in 2024. It’s relatively the same dead money amount post-June 1 2024. But spreading out a new restructure in 2025 will bring on more dead money in future years. If he retires later this summer in a month, his retirement won’t impact future cap as much.

Ultimately it’s up to Ram. He’ll pocket another salary even if he’s on IR the entire year. It makes business sense to him to rehab as apart of the team on his way out.

Maybe restructure is the wrong word. Can a player with a salary of 12M for instance just decide to cut his pay to 2M for instance? Then yes we would have to pay any dead money that we shifted from previous years (prorated sign on bonus etc) but maybe save his salary? I’m asking because I don’t know.

Maybe restructure is the wrong word. Can a player with a salary of 12M for instance just decide to cut his pay to 2M for instance? Then yes we would have to pay any dead money that we shifted from previous years (prorated sign on bonus etc) but maybe save his salary? I’m asking because I don’t know.
Ram can agree to reduce his ‘25 salary to vet minimum if he retires next year like Drew Brees did when he retired. I believe it will still have a double digit cap hit-dead money by reducing/converting a 29M hit into a 1M vet min salary. But it should lessen the future years’ dead money if he does a new salary paycut for vet minimum in 2025.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom