Underhill hints at a Ram retirement (3 Viewers)

It’s a shame that teams are penalized for early player retirements. There should be some sort of cap waiver i these circumstances.
I agree in theory but it's hard to think of a good way to do it that couldn't be manipulated to circumvent the salary cap.

It’s a shame that teams are penalized for early player retirements. There should be some sort of cap waiver i these circumstances.
I totally agree, there should be an easier way out. BUT we have pushed so much of his previous years salary forward by kicking the can down the road we still have to pay for previous restructures.

What many don't realize is that if a player retires mid contract the team can require the player to pay back the prorated signing bonus for that years left on his contract. I know of 4 cases where teams have done that or at least partially. When Calvin Johnson retired in 2017 the lions made him pay back half of the signing bonus ($1.6M) The team gets a cap credit when they recieve the money. They also made Barry Sanders pay back when he retired. SF made Patrick Willis and a first year LB who also retired the same year as Willis payback their signing bonus.

What many don't realize is that if a player retires mid contract the team can require the player to pay back the prorated signing bonus for that years left on his contract. I know of 4 cases where teams have done that or at least partially. When Calvin Johnson retired in 2017 the lions made him pay back half of the signing bonus ($1.6M) The team gets a cap credit when they recieve the money. They also made Barry Sanders pay back when he retired. SF made Patrick Willis and a first year LB who also retired the same year as Willis payback their signing bonus.
I don't think the Saints will go after signing bonus money given that he is retiring for health reasons. He has also worked with the Saints by reducing his salary this year to benefit us on the cap, he didn't need to do that because he was already guaranteed the $6.5m even if we cut him.

I can see him waiting until 2025 to retire, if he goes on IR this year he can collect the rest of his $1.21m in guaranteed pay before calling it a career.

Looking at the cap, we are best set to carry Ram this season since his entire cap hit is already on the books.

If he retires post June then we only save 1 million, have 11 million in dead cap and 23 million dead next season.

If he waits until next offseason and retires post june 1 we could lower his salary to vet minimum before then which saves 16 million in cap space immediately, then after retirement the dead money would only be 11 million in 2025 and 12 million in 2026

poor decision making gave him his second contract. His knee was screwed then. Should have let him walk for a comp pick
The guy was unbelievably productive. But I will say this much, the Saints have been pretty bad at injury prevention, injury assessment, and analytics. They’ve done very well in regards to internal medicine evaluations (see the cancer diagnoses), but I question if a better training team/analytics team would have known that his knee was a ticking time bomb.

If Ram retires in 4 weeks after June 1, his dead money will be 12M. His dead money decreases from 23M to 12M after June 1 this year. A couple extensions for AK and TH can cover that so it won’t eat up all of the current cap space. Ram’s 2025 cap hit is 29M and dead money will be 23M if he retires next year. The restructure and dead money will be higher in 2025-2026. It’d be better for the cap if he retires this year in June.
The way I see it.
Retires Now:
Cap hit increases from 12.29 million to 35.36 million. A 23.07 million increase in his cap cost.
Saints would need to create a lot of space to get under the cap. No future cap hits.
Retire After June 1st:
Cap hit this year stays exactly the same.
Dead Money cap hit 2025 of 23.07 million. A cap savings of 6.02 million.
Retire After June 1st next year:
Cap hit this year stays exactly the same.
Dead Money cap hit 2025 of 11.08 million + 1.2 million base salary (this goes away after June 1st.). Cap savings of 18 million.
Dead Money cap hit 2026 of 11.98 million. No future cap hits

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom