Album Cover Art Quiz (1 Viewer)

Weasels Ripped My Flesh is a great album.

Anyone else notice they got this one wrong? It should the M.O.I. but they count it as Z himself instead.
I'm up to 30 right. Been at it all day wracking my brain. I haven't given up yet because there are at least 3 or 4 more I recognize but still haven't placed...MY BRAIN HURTS!

EDIT: OK, reached 41 and finally gave up. I also admit to googling about the last 10 bands because I was sure it was them but couldn't think of the album name. At least I had the bands right!
There was one I never got that I was sure I knew, but when I gave up and checked the rest of the answers, it was a band I don't remember ever hearing, so I must have had the picture confused with another album. Of the 13 I missed, I can't say I had a shot at any of them because they were all bands I never listened to (and in the case of a couple, I admit I never even heard of), though several of the ones I got were also bands I never listened to (of the 54, I only liked 30 of these bands at any point in my life; I like far fewer of them now), but I remembered most of the album covers vividly.
Fun quiz, Hou-Dat! How did you find this?

Last edited:
34 out of 54. And you're right. It should be the Mothers of Invention, not Frank Zappa solo.

Not a single Beatles, Stones, or solo-Beatle record? Wow.

I would have never gotten almost any of the ones I couldn't figure out. In fact, I haven't even heard of a few of them. And classic rock is my favorite type of music (and not just the 2 or 3 songs by each artist they play on the radio -- you have to listen to the whole album(s)). There's a lot of good stuff that doesn't get radio play -- for no apparent reason.

But, I mean, who the hell are Thunder, Marillion, Hawkwind, & Saxon? Never heard of them.

Last edited:
Marillion and Hawkwind were progressive metal bands. Never heard of Thunder or Saxon

I got 23. No way I'd ever be able to identify an album by Queensryche or Whitesnake.

That was cool.

But, I mean, who the hell are Thunder, Marillion, Hawkwind, & Saxon? Never heard of them.

Bear in mind its from a UK rock station.

Thunder I've seen live, I think, but they left an indelible blank on my mind.

Status Quo you may well know (if only for opening Live Aid at Wembley), but Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon is such an obscure, early album that many of their UK fans will never have heard of it. I was a big fan >25 years ago and I've never heard that album.

Hawkwind are probably best known for 'Silver Machine' and at one time employed one Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister on bass. Sci-fi writer Michael Moorcock wrote a few songs for them.

Saxon were part of the so-called 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal' spandex-brigade in the early 80's from which emerged Iron Maiden and Def Leppard. Saxon are from Yorkshire, and a reasonably entertaining bunch. I think they're still on the road occasionally. 'Princess of the Night' is an old favourite of mine, while 747 (Strangers in the night) and Wheels of Steel are probably their signature tunes.

There's no excuse for never having heard of Marillion though.

Bear in mind its from a UK rock station.

Thunder I've seen live, I think, but they left an indelible blank on my mind.

Status Quo you may well know (if only for opening Live Aid at Wembley), but Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon is such an obscure, early album that many of their UK fans will never have heard of it. I was a big fan >25 years ago and I've never heard that album.

Hawkwind are probably best known for 'Silver Machine' and at one time employed one Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister on bass. Sci-fi writer Michael Moorcock wrote a few songs for them.

Saxon were part of the so-called 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal' spandex-brigade in the early 80's from which emerged Iron Maiden and Def Leppard. Saxon are from Yorkshire, and a reasonably entertaining bunch. I think they're still on the road occasionally. 'Princess of the Night' is an old favourite of mine, while 747 (Strangers in the night) and Wheels of Steel are probably their signature tunes.

There's no excuse for never having heard of Marillion though.

Thanks, this explains a lot. And I may have no excuse (other than the fact that I hate heavy metal to start with as it is far too boring to me), but I've never heard of Marillion. I'm sorry I ever heard of Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest, bands whose recordings I'd be happy to see erased from existance, but that's just me. As I've said before, music is very subjective.
Anyway, thanks for pointing out the source. For me, there were too many metal bands in this quiz, but now I understand why: it was fairly "audience specific."

Tenordas, Marillion was a one-hit wonder type when we were in high school and college... had a hit song out in the mid 1980s called "Kayleigh" ... I also remember the lead singer was named "Fish."

Might not remember the band, but I think you'd remember the song if you heard it. Power-ballad type song, although the band wasn't what I'd really consider heavy metal.

Marillion's first couple of albums, 'Script for a Jesters Tear' and 'Fugazi', were pretty good; after that they dropped off a bit IMO. Kayleigh is off the third studio album but there was a live album somewhere in there too (which is also pretty good - they were excellent live). Certainly not heavy metal, though most definitely rock - they cite Rush as a major influence.

This is early 80's, though - we're talking old person music here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom