Are Mardi Gras Krews Shrinking? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I’m standing here at Isis, and the parade only has 17 floats. I could have sworn this parade used to be longer than 17 floats. Are Mardi Gras krews like Isis shrinking? If so, what’s causing it? Are folks just moving to different krewes? Is it just too expensive to ride? What gives?

I’m standing here at Isis, and the parade only has 17 floats. I could have sworn this parade used to be longer than 17 floats. Are Mardi Gras krews like Isis shrinking? If so, what’s causing it? Are folks just moving to different krewes? Is it just too expensive to ride? What gives?
Yes it's getting more expensive and some krewes are enforcing high dollar bead packages that don't equal the price you pay. Plus with the higher crime and people still recovering its been tough. I know my float in Bacchus is 30% substitutes this year. We are not the only ones. I've heard the same from riders in Endymion. Just a tough year.

It costs 1000s to ride. Between dues and throws, you can easily drop $5k to ride.

It’s you…definitely you

Wouldn’t know
Haven’t been to a Metairie parade in decades
In the city the only one that’s seemed a bit light was Carrollton (Nyx obviously was down, but I didn’t go)

Crowds also seem to be bigger than last year
I’m about a 15-20 minute walk to the Napoleon/St Charles turn - parking usually doesn’t get by me until Bacchus, but we had people parking nearby last weekend and this week starting with Muses

You trippin. Isis? Not sure about it.

But Iris had 32 floats. And Tucks had 41 floats.

Endymion had 36.

Last edited:
Isis is a Kenner parade. I wouldn't expect more than 20 floats

That's a typical size for a Metairie parade.

Wouldn’t know
Haven’t been to a Metairie parade in decades
In the city the only one that’s seemed a bit light was Carrollton (Nyx obviously was down, but I didn’t go)

Crowds also seem to be bigger than last year
I’m about a 15-20 minute walk to the Napoleon/St Charles turn - parking usually doesn’t get by me until Bacchus, but we had people parking nearby last weekend and this week starting with Muses
Yeah, crowds were wild today for Tucks and Iris. Usually we have a decent 2-4 ppl deep section (sidewalk side) on St. Charles, but today it was like 7-9 ppl deep. Crowds are much bigger than the past few years (even before Covidgras).

Also, what is with ppl leaving their ladders and chairs out there unattended at 5am? I thought that the city came and threw unattended items in the trash?

Yeah, crowds were wild today for Tucks and Iris. Usually we have a decent 2-4 ppl deep section (sidewalk side) on St. Charles, but today it was like 7-9 ppl deep. Crowds are much bigger than the past few years (even before Covidgras).

Also, what is with ppl leaving their ladders and chairs out there unattended at 5am? I thought that the city came and threw unattended items in the trash?
You'll have to do that yourself.

You went to a parade in Kenner?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom