basic electronics/lightning q (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So it seems like lightning might have taken out some electronics the other day
- fwiw all were plugged into surge protectors and the outage seems sporadic- 1 of 3 tvs, 1 of 2 x boxes, and the router were effected- also other thing were plugged into the same surge protectors and both other electronics and surge protectors seem fine)
The question is are these possibly fixable or alles kaput?

Sadly, the vast majority of consumer electronics today are best replaced than repaired. I once did electronic repair for a living, and when the price for such goods dropped dramatically in the early 90s, few customers continued to repair things like TVs, VCRs, stereos, etc.

However if you do want to check it yourself (or bring it to an honest repair shop), the damage from power surges can simply be a matter of a fuse replacement. (Some fuses are not the snap in type but are soldered onto the circuit board.) But keep in mind that occasionally the damage from a strong surge can be far more extensive.

So depending on the age and quality of the device, it may be worth checking the surge protection components (like the fuse) before scrapping it and buying something new. Unless you were just looking for an excuse to get something new anyway.

Last edited:
Sadly, the vast majority of consumer electronics today are best replaced than repaired. I once did electronic repair for a living, and when the price for such goods dropped dramatically in the early 90s, few customers continued to repair things like TVs, VCRs, stereos, etc.

However if you do want to check it yourself (or bring it to an honest repair shop), the damage from power surges can simply be a matter of a fuse replacement. (Some fuses are not the snap in type but are soldered onto the circuit board.) But keep in mind that occasionally the damage from a strong surge can be far more extensive.

So depending on the age and quality of the device, it may be worth checking the surge protection components (like the fuse) before scrapping it and buying something new. Unless you were just looking for an excuse to get something new anyway.
This is how you thread people

The tv is maybe 8 years- it was probably time to transition anyway
But the Xbox has a lot on it (as well as external drive) so I’ll probably try to get that fixed if it’s reasonable

Which begs the question- where might one take an Xbox for repair??

This is how you thread people

The tv is maybe 8 years- it was probably time to transition anyway
But the Xbox has a lot on it (as well as external drive) so I’ll probably try to get that fixed if it’s reasonable

Which begs the question- where might one take an Xbox for repair??
Most pc/cell phone repair shops work on game consoles as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom