Best Win Ever Against: The Steelers (1 Viewer)

First Monday Night Football win in 1984. Someone vowed to take a shot of schnapps for every Saints first down. Bad move, as Richard freaking Todd had a great night, and former Steeler Dirt Winston had a late pick6 to ice the game. Went off like a fire hose at the conclusion of the game, redecorated the front room of my fraternity house.

The Steelers have arguably the most obnoxious fan base in sports, so as someone who isn't ancient, the 2010 and 2018 games have special meaning to me. These people are insufferable. I grew up around them.

But there's no competing with 1987 for historical significance.

Most historically significant win was indeed the 1987 game. All of us of a certain age will remember the goal line stand near the end. But having rewatched it on YouTube in the recent past, we see that wasn’t quite the end of the game yet. The Saints’ pedestrian offense had to punt it right back to the Steelers and they mounted a late drive, only to have a pass intercepted in the red zone (I think by Dave Waymer?).

The other notable wins, all bunched together here, are 2018 (a fun back-and-forth game that clinched the division for us and also featured the final TD as a Steeler for Antonio Brown), 2010 (a big win on SNF on Halloween night that righted the ship following that ugly loss to the Browns), and 1984 (our first-ever win on MNF).

Most historically significant win was indeed the 1987 game. All of us of a certain age will remember the goal line stand near the end. But having rewatched it on YouTube in the recent past, we see that wasn’t quite the end of the game yet. The Saints’ pedestrian offense had to punt it right back to the Steelers and they mounted a late drive, only to have a pass intercepted in the red zone (I think by Dave Waymer?).

The other notable wins, all bunched together here, are 2018 (a fun back-and-forth game that clinched the division for us and also featured the final TD as a Steeler for Antonio Brown), 2010 (a big win on SNF on Halloween night that righted the ship following that ugly loss to the Browns), and 1984 (our first-ever win on MNF).
I just went and watched the full game from 1987. Man, what bad QB play in that game. Hebert himself was pretty bad but holy moly Malone from Pitt might be one of the worst starting QBs I’ve ever seen. He ended that year with 6 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. They kept talking about him being the last rated QB in the league early on, and he lived up to that the entire game.

In the 2nd half alone the Pittsburgh offense had SIX yes 6 turnovers in the 2nd half lol.

Morten Anderson had a terrible game.

Ruben Mayes looked strong coming off his rookie of the year season.

And man, that defensive front 7 for the Saints was some kind of fun to watch. Basically back to back drives with goal line stands to ice it.

I just went and watched the full game from 1987. Man, what bad QB play in that game. Hebert himself was pretty bad but holy moly Malone from Pitt might be one of the worst starting QBs I’ve ever seen. He ended that year with 6 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. They kept talking about him being the last rated QB in the league early on, and he lived up to that the entire game.

In the 2nd half alone the Pittsburgh offense had SIX yes 6 turnovers in the 2nd half lol.

Morten Anderson had a terrible game.

Ruben Mayes looked strong coming off his rookie of the year season.

And man, that defensive front 7 for the Saints was some kind of fun to watch. Basically back to back drives with goal line stands to ice it.
The Dome Patrol always came to work hellbent for leather 👍 As we’ve said a million times on here, imagine that group with an offense that could’ve scored TDs more often instead of field goals!

And indeed back then, quarterbacking wasn’t the precise science it is today, due to many factors. Even the better QBs back then threw a lot more picks than now because defenses could be a little rougher on them when sacking them.

I remember that game. Had a friend who was a Steelers fan and he had been taunting me all week. Tuesday morning I dug out my old "Who Dat!" which was 2 sizes too small... And wore it to school lol. When I got out of the car and he saw me... He just smiled and shook his head.

I nominate the Saints clinching their first ever winning season in 1987:

I was in graduate school just down the road at WVU. Was planning on going to the game, but no one would go with me if I was going to cheer for the Saints! They were all scared we’d get in a fight…🤬. Still pissed off I didn’t go!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom