LSU News Brian Kelly offers NIL solution (1 Viewer)

I think this would be a good thing before things get even more unbalanced than they are
It's hard to imagine that the 'university shopping' by the top players wouldn't continue even with a salary cap on NIL money. There have always been ways to launder money to kids long before NIL became a thing.

The only question once a legitimate salary cap system is in place will be how willing is a school to taking the NCAA penalties when they slip up and get caught. There is so much extra money that goes to college for winning championships there's little doubt that many schools will take that risk.

It's hard to imagine that the 'university shopping' by the top players wouldn't continue even with a salary cap on NIL money. There have always been ways to launder money to kids long before NIL became a thing.

The only question once a legitimate salary cap system is in place will be how willing is a school to taking the NCAA penalties when they slip up and get caught. There is so much extra money that goes to college for winning championships there's little doubt that many schools will take that risk.
I think it would be far better. Premier players will want everything to be above board and legal...why risk participating in anything illegal when you can get paid damned good money with everything above board?

So how much trouble are universities going to risk for secondary players? And why would those player take money illegally when they could get as much or more elsewhere legally?

I think it would be far better. Premier players will want everything to be above board and legal...why risk participating in anything illegal when you can get paid damned good money with everything above board?

So how much trouble are universities going to risk for secondary players? And why would those player take money illegally when they could get as much or more elsewhere legally?
I meant risk getting caught paying players over & above the salary cap as an advantage over a school that may be sticking to the cap.

I meant risk getting caught paying players over & above the salary cap as an advantage over a school that may be sticking to the cap.
Which is still likely far better than a school or multiple schools throwing unlimited money without fear of repercussions

But NIL money isn't paid by the universities, so why would the university get penalized for a player getting paid to much? That would be the company that pays the money and the individual player.

While I do understand the reason and purpose for NIL. I do feel NIL, and the transfer portal have had a negative effect on College football. I feel it is only going to get worse unless changes are made to both.

The problem with a salary cap in college is that technically, these players are being paid by third parties for use of their name, image and likeness. I know, I know, it is being abused and treated as pay for play by many schools. But the court action that started all of this said that the NCAA can't prohibit players from profiting from their name, image and likeness.

A big improvement would be to tighten the transfer portal. Maybe one transfer within four years or else sit out a year. Teams should not have to recruit the same player four years in a row.

The problem with a salary cap in college is that technically, these players are being paid by third parties for use of their name, image and likeness. I know, I know, it is being abused and treated as pay for play by many schools. But the court action that started all of this said that the NCAA can't prohibit players from profiting from their name, image and likeness.

A big improvement would be to tighten the transfer portal. Maybe one transfer within four years or else sit out a year. Teams should not have to recruit the same player four years in a row.
At the very least they couldn't transfer after just one season

This seems like a better idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom