Can a Minnesotan make a good gumbo? (2 Viewers)

VikesFan2017

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like to cook. I'm not a professional, but I like to grill, know how to use the stove top and oven and I have been getting better at baking Generally I find a recipe I kind of like that branch out from there with my own flavor preferences.

I want to make a nice gumbo, but have no idea where to start. Does anyone have a good gumbo recipe that isn't impossible to make to get me started? It seems like it would be a good dish to warm me up during these winter months. I'm looking for something good without 200 ingredients for starters.

Thanks in advance!

Gumbo is relatively easy to make. The biggest trouble you will probably have is finding decent andouille, although that is also pretty easy to make if you are so inclined.

Here is a recipe to get you started. There are a ton of variations.

Gumbo is relatively easy to make. The biggest trouble you will probably have is finding decent andouille, although that is also pretty easy to make if you are so inclined.

Here is a recipe to get you started. There are a ton of variations.

I have some "decent" andouille in my freezer right now that I need to use. I made jambalaya a week or two ago. Used some andouille and some chicken. I'll check out the recipe!
Probably not andouille that you would appreciate but solid enough to get started!

First, you make a roux.

I've made a roux before!
Aren't there different colors of roux? How far do I need to go with my roux?

I've always preferred the lighter roux, but I know a lot of people that prefer the darker roux.

I've made a roux before!
Aren't there different colors of roux? How far do I need to go with my roux?

that's a personal preference...i think most people like a darker roux but i like mine to be lighter than most

i don't have a recipe handy but i will tell you that if i can cook gumbo, almost anyone else should be able to

that's a personal preference...i think most people like a darker roux but i like mine to be lighter than most

i don't have a recipe handy but i will tell you that if i can cook gumbo, almost anyone else should be able to

When do you add the rice? Just at the end?

I make chili pretty often so I'm guessing it's not too different from a process standpoint... but instead of heating up onions and peppers I do a roux instead then just start adding stuff.

When i make my gumbo, ive always used chicken thighs that i precook with liberal cajun seasoning ( Louisiana brand i love )...adds just a lil extra spice to the gumbo.

and if you want to add "consistency" to the gumbo, just add some okra.

How does the flavor change?
Isn't it a bit of a nutty flavor early on?

As it gets darker is it just stronger nuttiness, or does the flavor change?

It gets stronger. Make a roux with unsalted butter and sifted all-purpose flour. When it gets to caramel-colored (light) take a spoonful out and set it aside to cool a little. DO NOT TASTE UNTIL IT COOLS - we call roux Cajun Napalm. DO NOT SPLASH IT ON TO YOUR SKIN - the scars will be permanent after the pain subsides. If you arent experienced at making a roux make sure no children are present in the kitchen.

You should get a nutty flavor from the caramel-colored roux. Continue cooking until the color reaches that of milk chocolate and retrieve a spoonful. Allow it to cool, then taste. Should be a stronger nuttier flavor and the kitchen will smell delicious.

Continue cooking, you're looking for dark chocolate. Again, retrieve a spoonful. The flavor will be unlike anything you've tasted before. Rich, buttery and, if a flavor can be called this, brown. This is the holy grail of roux for smoked meats.

If you scorch a roux don't be afraid to throw it out and start again.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom