Cooks: Young Saints wideouts 'gonna do big things' (1 Viewer)

FatCitySaint

Drag The Waters
Reaction score
Cooks: Young Saints wideouts 'gonna do big things' - NFL.com

"We are young, yes. But this game, you can't let your youth hold you back from being great," Cooks told ESPN.com's Mike Triplett. "And that's the way I think about it, and that's the way we all feel about it in that room.

"We might be young, but darn it, we're gonna make great plays and we're gonna do big things. And we're not gonna wait until our fifth, sixth year, we're gonna do it now."

The WR core is going to be very exciting to watch this year!:9:

Heck yeah, already stepping up as a quiet leader. Quiet Lightning? :spit:
He and Thomas are gonna be fun to watch. I'm ready to see Fleener and Spiller as well, and Snead in year 2.

All due respect to Saints Receiving Corps of the past but it isn't going to take much for this unit to become the best we've had under SP. #12 and Jimmy were no doubt about it, bona fide NFL studs. After those two it's gets dicey in a hurry.

Lance Moore was a solid player. He was consistent and he made some clutch catches for the Saints. As good as he was for the Saints, I don't think he has the same success on other teams. I hate to say it but I think he was a product of the system.

Devery Henderson had a lot of potential but he never put it all together. For his career he averaged 27 receptions for 486 yards and 2 TDs per season. Good blocker, good teammate. Made some big plays. Not a great WR.

Robert Meachem had some huge plays but overall his career wasn't anything to write home about either. He averaged 42 receptions for 416 yards and 4 TDs per season.

I want to see empty back set: Cooks, Snead, Thomas, Coleman, Fleener. I'm going to smoke my cigarette now, thank you.

All due respect to Saints Receiving Corps of the past but it isn't going to take much for this unit to become the best we've had under SP. #12 and Jimmy were no doubt about it, bona fide NFL studs. After those two it's gets dicey in a hurry.

Lance Moore was a solid player. He was consistent and he made some clutch catches for the Saints. As good as he was for the Saints, I don't think he has the same success on other teams. I hate to say it but I think he was a product of the system.

Devery Henderson had a lot of potential but he never put it all together. For his career he averaged 27 receptions for 486 yards and 2 TDs per season. Good blocker, good teammate. Made some big plays. Not a great WR.

Robert Meachem had some huge plays but overall his career wasn't anything to write home about either. He averaged 42 receptions for 416 yards and 4 TDs per season.

Agreed individually Moore, Henderson and Meachem were not dominant, however hugely complimentary when paired with Colston, Shockey and Bush/Thomas out of the backfield and made defenses cover every blade of grass. Also offered a great blend of size, shiftiness, speed, possession.

There is no doubt Brees got over reliant on Graham and forced the ball to him, causing a lot of interceptions as defenses keyed in on him and did not respect the ability of our offense to go deep

This is the most exciting and balanced offense since 2011, especially if Spiller is up to full speed

Interesting. Brandon Coleman (whom many on this board think is a bum) had 454 yards and 2 TDs last year.

I want to see empty back set: Cooks, Snead, Thomas, Coleman, Fleener. I'm going to smoke my cigarette now, thank you.

Empty Back Set of Doom: Cooks, Snead, Thomas, Fleener, Hooman.

Make your DC Weep Set: Cooks, Snead, Thomas, Fleener, Spiller/Ingram.

You can run, when they blitz throw a screen, if they honor the pass and go DB heavy you run a draw play with Spiller. Make them cover the middle and throw a bomb to Snead/Thomas/Cooks.

All of this assuming the o-line comes to play.

Its interesting how this time last year we all thought Willie Snead was a camp body. Now looking at him he has staying power.

I envision great things from this trio. If one of the other wide receivers pan out, we could be deadly.

Purely in terms of talent, Cooks and Thomas will probably be the best 1/2 we've fielded under SP. If the production matches the potential, this offense will be Top 5 again.

Cooks' production last year was pretty impressive. It came during a bleh season so it wasn't appreciated as much, but check this out:

Steve Smith's 3rd year: (Age 24 season): 88 receptions, 1110 yards, 7 TDs
Brandin Cooks' 2nd year: (Age 22 season): 84 receptions, 1138 yards, 9 TDs

Smith is a guy that Cooks was often compared to early in his career and that comparison is looking good at this point if he can stay healthy.

Thomas won't need to light the world on fire to have a successful rookie season; if he and Snead can take some pressure off of Cooks, that will present serious problems for any defense without a dominant pass rush.

This reminds me of something I heard from Brett Favre in 2007, and it always stuck with me....

The Packers were supposed to be in rebuilding mode that year. Other than Donald Driver, Brett was pretty much throwing to very inexperienced guys. Even Mason Crosby was a rookie that year at kicker. Most people thought they'd be lucky to win 5 games.

Well, they started the season 10-1. And I can't remember after which game this quote was stated, but at some point when it was becoming obvious that the Pack were probably gonna match their "projected win total" in the first half of the season, Brett made the statement: "I think what we're learning here is that inexperience doesn't necessarily mean losses".

Maybe part of me fondly leans on that because Brees is now that late 30's guy surrounded by young, inexperienced guys......the way Brett was in 2007. Reading what Cooks said definitely has me thinking along the lines of what can be possible with this WR crew..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom