Derek Carr untouched on all 3rd and longs vs Panthers (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nice win right? I think it's a good way to open the season, but the only way to analyze a beating like that is through the lense of a critical eye.

It should have been 50+ points, and Carolina could have easily produced more if not for toilet bowl QB play from Bryce Young. In hindsight the Saints were never losing to that Panthers team, but a much better team would have capitalized off mistakes and been more competitive.

• 10 penalties for 95 yards and currently the 3rd most penalized team in the league.
  • Gave up 3 points at end of half w/ Panthers getting ball back to start the 3rd. Potential 10 point swing
Sunday's victory has the feeling of a trap win as the Saints are 0-2 under Dennis Allen the week after beating a team by 20+ points, and with the Cowgirls plieing just over the horizon, things could get dicey if they come out flat. Allen know it though, and the things he talked about in his press conference leads me to believe he'll be approaching the week with the right focus.

Anyway, what I really came to discuss was the boogey man in the room, 3rd down and long.

After the game, there was a discussion on Penning and a well liked comment was "If the Saints can stay out of 3rd and long, they'll be good". The nerve...the disrespect....the humanity, in my Rodney Dangerfield voice. Did we watch the same game with the same playcalling? The one where outside of a few hits Carr was kept incredibly clean, specifically on 3rd and infinity ward...

Here's how the Saints faired on 3rd and 7+

-3rd 9, incomplete pass Deep shot (pocket was clean Carr untouched Penning had to look for work, knocked someone down)
-3rd 7, Run 17 yards (big block by Penning. Olave in Motoin, Pitch to Kamara) They get the edge by great play design.
-3rd 9, short pass to tipton (Pocket Clean, ball out quick, Penning's guy doesn't come close)
-3rd 15, incomplete deep to Shaheed (Pocket clean, Carr untouched)
-3rd 19 Incomplete deep to shaheed (pass interference) (Pocket Clean, Carr untouched, TE Chipped on Pennings side)
-3rd and 8 J mims 5 yards (Haener in game)

Kubiaks system simply isn't designed to put it's offensive line in harms way with a heavy reliance on the drop back passing game. Nope, that system is being utilized in Denver with its rookie QB throwing 40+ passes for 138 yards and generating a paltry 98 yards on the ground.

As a side note, shout out to John Benton and Rick Dennison for their work in the run game. There were times where Alvin Kamara wasn't touched until 3.5 yds past the LOS. It almost seemed appropriate when Kamara decided to celibrate his first TD of the season by simply shaking the hands of his offensive lineman. That's his first game over 5 ypc since October 16th 2022.

But back to my point, this offense is designed to let the big men up front maul people while taking pressure off them in pass protection and Carr is the beneficiary.

Kubiak's playcalling was on point and his ability to build off of plays was on display. The Kamara TD that was called back was set up by a 2nd and 9 play that went to Olave for -6 yards. They came back to it on this play, same motion but instead of pitching it to Olave at the snap they handed it off to Kamara for the 11 yd TD. Too bad the ref needs lasiks.

Random Thought - I had a unique insight where I realized this system, perhaps a bit more than others, is like the OC playing QB through the player. Or maybe its a small difference between good OC's and bad ones, the abilty to communicate with the QB on what he should be expecting to see on any given play prior to the headset being turned off. Carmichael didn't seem to be skilled at that and Carr has alluded to it inadvertantly. This logic slightly explains Pete's lone resume fluffer, the 2022 record setting season he navigated sans Sean Payton. Having access to Brees was the equivalent of picking your play and letting the CPU run it without touching the controller.

Random Thought II - Some of what we saw is definitely Kubiak and this scheme, but Derek Carr's last 7 games have been *chefs kiss*. He's completed 77.2% of his passes for 18 TD's to 3 INT's and an average QB rating of 119.1 and the Saints are 5-2 in that span.

Random thought III - So we just not going to talk about about Bryce Young hitting Demario Jordan with the Iverson cross at the top of the key?

Random Thought IV - Two words...Grupe Love.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom