Eli Apple (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Deserves a ton of love.

Most of Julio’s catches came against zone coverage. When he was manned up, Apple did a great job and allowed Lattimore to shut down Ridley.

I feel like being a part of this team has helped his confidence grow quite a bit in a short time.

Yes he has done a good job but to put a little "excuse" he had safety help with Julio yesterday, unlike Lattimore who was man to man on Ridley the whole game. But real good game plan by the defense. Will admit that acquiring Apple has improved the defense a whole lot.

Yes he has done a good job but to put a little "excuse" he had safety help with Julio yesterday, unlike Lattimore who was man to man on Ridley the whole game. But real good game plan by the defense. Will admit that acquiring Apple has improved the defense a whole lot.

Well yeah I wouldn’t expect him to go strictly 1-on-1 vs Julio. I wouldn’t really expect anyone to do that.

It’s more how much better his presence has made the defense overall.

And Apple is still improving as he is learning & becoming more comfortable in DA's system. He'll only get better as time goes on. Great use of a #4 draft pick.

has Julio really lost a step or is he just burnt out in Atlanta. The announcers were talking about how he doesn't produce in the redzone while he catches a pass to get them down to the 5 yl and immediately gets up and calls to sit out the next play. I would think if the talk is that he doesn't produce enough in the redzone to warrant the contract he is asking for, that he would want to be in on all those plays. It wasn't like he took a big hit, he just looked gassed.

has Julio really lost a step or is he just burnt out in Atlanta. The announcers were talking about how he doesn't produce in the redzone while he catches a pass to get them down to the 5 yl and immediately gets up and calls to sit out the next play. I would think if the talk is that he doesn't produce enough in the redzone to warrant the contract he is asking for, that he would want to be in on all those plays. It wasn't like he took a big hit, he just looked gassed.

I felt he has lost a step since last year. He still has the ability to get open and catch a lot of balls. He is still great receiver. But as far as my opinion, I don't think he is in the top 5 anymore.

Apple is a substantial improvement over what we had. He has skills, he has swag, he knows what to do - and he wants to make plays. He gives up some plays but that’s okay, we’re much better with him.

I love seeing those three Buckeyes back there. They have been playing together for years - I’m sure that helps.

He has always had red zone trouble. Teams basically double him and take him out. I’m sure some of it is on Jones but I don’t think he doesn’t want to score. We doubled him all night in the end zone.

He has always had red zone trouble. Teams basically double him and take him out. I’m sure some of it is on Jones but I don’t think he doesn’t want to score. We doubled him all night in the end zone.

right, but if he is still drawing the doubles then that is even more reason you should be in on all three shots at the five yard line. I think Atlanta was mailing it in to be honest. Failure gets old after a while :p

Great pickup. He’s very talented, really shored up the secondary.

He doesn’t have to be a shutdown corner, that’s Lattimore’s job (if that even exists in today’s NFL).

But he’s made the opposite side of the field hostile, which takes pressure off the entire D since there isn’t a glaring weak spot now.

And Apple is still improving as he is learning & becoming more comfortable in DA's system. He'll only get better as time goes on. Great use of a #4 draft pick.

Agree 100% ^. He is definitely gaining confidence and you can see by his smiles, how much he is enjoying playing with this Saints team.

My eyes are not the greatest, so I am asking for others thoughts on the following. Lattimore looks stronger to me and is even more physical than last year, but he looks a step slower. Has anyone else seen this? Thanks

His overall pass defense skills were good prior to coming to the Saints. The question was his tackling skills. One of the complaints out of New York was his lack of tackling and holding his edge on running plays. He had a good game last night and lead the team in tackles. Overall the improvement in tackling has lead to the defense's resurgence. They are doing a much better job of open field tackling. When you force a team's QB to drop back 55 times to pass the football that is a winning formula. Ole Matty was their leading rusher.

What a steal! Quality starting corners don't grow on trees. We got him for basically nothing and he's still on a Rookie contract. This guy was the missing piece to this secondary and we're finally seeing Dennis Allen play defense the way he envisioned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom