N/S Ezekiel Elliott's Regression (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Is Ezekiel Elliott's regression because of a bad o-line or typical wear and tear of a running back?

Is Ezekiel Elliott's regression because of a bad o-line or typical wear and tear of a running back?

He doesn’t have elite speed so he can’t outrun on the edges. He makes his living between the tackles and the holes just aren’t there. He could help himself if he could catch more consistently imo.

Patchwork OL, not nearly as much threat of a passing game with Dak out, and he seems to have lost his explosiveness.

There were plenty people predicting this while he was was holding out on Jerrah. His yardage per year has gone down every year....every year. That’s what’s known as a trend.

Elliot, Lawrence and Cooper’s contracts are going to keep them from paying their best player....and they are all “B” talents now.

There were plenty people predicting this while he was was holding out on Jerrah. His yardage per year has gone down every year....every year. That’s what’s known as a trend.

Elliot, Lawrence and Cooper’s contracts are going to keep them from paying their best player....and they are all “B” talents now.
Oh yeah it's all a complete disaster.

• Gained weight (mostly fat - remember how he used to wear his jersey up to his chest?)
  • Lost top end speed and burst
  • More wear and tear after 3-4 years
  • O line isnt nearly as good

Also, Mike McCarthy's system is not running back friendly.

He's definitely regressed.

The explosion he once had isn't there anymore.

This. Plus losing. When bad teams reach that point where they know there not getting an invitation to the big dance, some players (generally) are just going through the motions. Play safe, avoid injury, hold back for next year. Maybe I’m wrong but Elliott strikes me that way.

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
I remember just a couple of years ago when he and Kamara were interviewed together as the "faces of the new style of back in the NFL". Glad the faces are pointed in opposite directions now,

It's physics. He slimmed down a lot but his massive head stayed the same size. That's why it always looks like he's falling forward when he runs. Adversity is trying to balance that mega-head, while staying upright.

He probably has a closet with nothing but pillows because he flattens them like pancakes on a regular basis. This is what I believe.

Haven't followed Zeke this year but I've always felt pure RBs are more a product of the team around them. They can be great but the o-line, offense and the team in general needs to enable them.

The o-line is obvious. It's the difference between having to break the tackle of a 300-pound man to get 3 yards and having to break the tackle of a 200-pound man to get 10 yards.

If the passing game is struggling then keying on the run and putting an extra man in the box is much easier. I've always felt stopping the run is more about commitment. So your offense has to make them pay for that commitment.

Then if the team is struggling as a whole, the game script can just flat take away your opportunities.

So maybe something is up with him. I haven't watched him play. I know the Cowboys aren't playing good enough for a RB to succeed though.

As far as living up to his contract. Well, I would never want to see a pure runner paid like that. I was saying Kamara shouldn't make much more than 12 mil and that much only because he had the ability to give you WR type production. He can contribute to making defenses commit to the run and to making them pay for that commitment.

The 'Boys o-line is decimated but he still has regressed. He also fumbles way too much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom