Has anyone else ever caught a TD and blocked a punt in the same NFL game? (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Juwan Johnson’s double (blocked punt and receiving TD) has to be very rare in the modern era so I looked it up.

Taysom did it in 2019! 🤣 (though his TD “reception” was a shovel pass). I can’t find any other examples of this being done but perhaps there’s a few others.

Bills special teams ace Steve Tasker was a WR on the roster and has 7 blocked punts and 9 TD receptions but I wasn’t able to tell if any were in the same game.

It would be hard to say but you might lookup Ed Meador, Ed Sprinkle, Bill Hewitt, Gary Lewis, and Dick Lynch to see if they matched the feat.

All notable punt/kick blockers that played in positions that caught passes on offense.

Pretty difficult to find. I could find eight instances where a player had their punt blocked that scored a receiving TD in the same game, all from before 1970. Finding stats on the players that blocked the punts is not as easy.

It would be hard to say but you might lookup Ed Meador, Ed Sprinkle, Bill Hewitt, Gary Lewis, and Dick Lynch to see if they matched the feat.

All notable punt/kick blockers that played in positions that caught passes on offense.
Its hard to find any details about the old legends of the game but so far I encountered a game where Bill Hewitt one of (the last few players who refused to wear a helmet in the NFL) played in the 1933 opener against the Packers. The Bears found themselves down 7-0 with 5 minutes remaining as their star RB Bronko Nagurski out of the game with an injury. Before the game ended Bill blocked a FG. When the Bears attack was stymied they hand the ball to Bill on an end around he pulled up and threw a 46-yd TD pass. then with 2 minutes left in the game he blocked a point and ran it in for TD ti win the game 14-7.

Punt blocking stats were not kept back then but Bill did catch 23 TD passes and was known for being a fast punt blocker who would time the snaps - so it may be possible he achieved the feat as well.

I thought Juwan Johnson’s double (blocked punt and receiving TD) has to be very rare in the modern era so I looked it up.

Taysom did it in 2019! 🤣 (though his TD “reception” was a shovel pass). I can’t find any other examples of this being done but perhaps there’s a few others.

Bills special teams ace Steve Tasker was a WR on the roster and has 7 blocked punts and 9 TD receptions but I wasn’t able to tell if any were in the same game.

It technically wasn't a blocked punt, it was a deflection. If the ball travels forward after contact, it's a deflection, not a block.

My AI tool says nope:

others.png

For a CONTROL question I followed up with this and loved the response:

tysom.png

Attachments

• others.png
    others.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom