How has sequestration affected you or those you know? (1 Viewer)

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
So now that we've apparently arrived at the moment of doom, the spending cut apocalypse, I thought it would make sense, over the coming weeks and months, for us to add posts explaining how the government spending cuts have hurt us or those close to us.

I post this because I hear about everyone it's going to hurt, but a part of me wonders whether it's all hype. So, I'm open to being convinced. Instead of talking about who it might hurt, as this thing unfolds, let's find real-life examples of people it is hurting.

I would prefer that this not turn into a debate about sequestration itself. We have other threads for that. Instead, I think it'd be useful to talk about real-life examples as they unfold over the coming weeks and months, not hypothetical ones that politicians tell us will happen.

Ready. Set. Go.

KCBagHead

Reaction score
Myself and my peers are still waiting to hear if we will be furloughed -- 1 day a week for up to 22 weeks. 20% pay cut.

The effect is not immediate -- but the perception is -- my family and I are looking at how we will weather that storm.

I still wonder if in DoD the furlough threat is just a scare tactic -- it just seems there are so many more ways in DoD to make rational cuts without laying people off.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go into the Skunk Works and see how empty the parking lot is.

MrVoodoo

Coach J
Reaction score
The budgets from OMB haven't even made their way out yet... so the majority of the effects haven't been felt and can't be felt yet. As the furloughs go - many will receive their 30 day notice this week, with the impact expected to begin hitting in early April. That's when the public will begin to see delays at the airport (seeing as for many that is their concern). The rest of us who are impacted like KCBaghead will begin seeing our pay reduced by 20% ... lamen's terms: we lose our house note every month ... and there does not seem to be anything at this point that will prevent that from happening. Some of the pols are giddy about it - others are angered, yet none will feel the effect on their wallets (surprise surprise).

So yeah - as another poster mentioned already, it's too early to gauge the effects of the sequester yet. (blame media for hyping it as an immediate impact)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
(blame media for hyping it as an immediate impact)
Wait,what?

Did you not see the president and all his staff all over the tv and news shows last week dooming and glooming this and talking about immediate impacts? Joe Scarborough was hilarious just a few minutes ago on Morning Joe as they were showing clips of the president and his cohort talking about janitors getting pay cuts in the white house and capital(not true), sec of education saying 40,000 teachers could lose their jobs(not true), and so on and so forth.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It'll probably take about a month for any impact to be felt. I mean - except for those criminals that were released.

I just hope the budget cuts are done in a sensible way, and not done in such a way as to arbitrarily hurt or injure families if it could have been avoided, just to further politicize the issue.

I'm tired of this two-party system. Time for instant run-off election processes to allow 3rd parties a fair shot.

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
It will have an immediate impact on spending or should. People naturally pull back in times like this. Most of us forget that the economy, and our country are really just ideas. Faith, and fear plays a large part in how these things function. I am very interested in the weekly economic numbers. We could see a sharp downturn that is obviously brought on by this crisis. Those should be allows to be posted as well?

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us forget that the economy, and our country are really just ideas. Faith, and fear plays a large part in how these things function. [...] We could see a sharp downturn that is obviously brought on by this crisis.
But any downturn could simply be a result of fear and lack of faith, and not necessarily grounded in any reality, c'est vrai?

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It will have an immediate impact on spending or should. People naturally pull back in times like this. Most of us forget that the economy, and our country are really just ideas. Faith, and fear plays a large part in how these things function. I am very interested in the weekly economic numbers. We could see a sharp downturn that is obviously brought on by this crisis. Those should be allows to be posted as well?
I'd argue the downturn was on it's way regardless of the sequester. Housing already is off to a bad start this year, far slower than last year, and there was a significant drop in income as well, which is attributable at least in part to the reinstatement of the full payroll tax. That has a real impact on take home pay.

I do think the sequester doesn't help, but not to the extent you're saying. At the very least, it didn't bring about the economic 'crisis' you think we're in. No one has lost a job or been furloughed yet. And even then, we're talking about $85 billion, which is a very small percentage of overall government spending.

IMHO, what we'll ultimately see is department heads just move money around to make their budget work for them and not make some hires they might have planned for. I'd be surprised to see much, if any at all, losing jobs and furloughs. It's mostly political posturing IMO, which is what it has been from both sides all along anyway.

bearze34

The Listener
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
It'll probably take about a month for any impact to be felt. I mean - except for those criminals that were released.

I just hope the budget cuts are done in a sensible way, and not done in such a way as to arbitrarily hurt or injure families if it could have been avoided, just to further politicize the issue.

I'm tired of this two-party system. Time for instant run-off election processes to allow 3rd parties a fair shot.
Here in Eureka 170,000,000 jobs are already lost. There are no teachers, police, firemen, or food as the truckers are all laid off. There is a 16 hour wait at the airport and we are out of gas. But, not to fear, SNAP cards will be delivered and WIC will be unaffected. There will be COLA'S for all government workers and welfare. SSI will remain unchainged.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here in Eureka 170,000,000 jobs are already lost. There are no teachers, police, firemen, or food as the truckers are all laid off. There is a 16 hour wait at the airport and we are out of gas. But, not to fear, SNAP cards will be delivered and WIC will be unaffected. There will be COLA'S for all government workers and welfare. SSI will remain unchainged.
phulease.....16 hr wait at airport....like thats uncommon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom