If you can't pay for a medical treatment, are there options besides credit/payment plans? (New Orleans area) (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctorum
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Long story short:

My hearing is starting to go, it runs in the family, and I've decided to get serious about treating the hearing loss. Over the past few months, I've been going to one of our local big-box hospitals and had hearing tests, consultations with a PA, and today - finally - a consultation with an otologist. All visits so far have been $50 co-pays. No problem.

Otologist scheduled me for a CAT scan to check about fluid leakage into one of my ears. Immediately afterwards, I called the hospital's billing department to find out what out-of-pocket cost would be for the scan. Answer: just short of $700.

That's too much for me to pay out of pocket. For reasons, I'll only do credit/medical payment plans for life-and-death or disfigurement. I can live with reduced hearing. However, these developments put the brakes on my current efforts to stave off hearing loss.

At first, I was thinking I'd have to wait to see if I can get different/better insurance through my employer. If not that, then wait a decade-plus for Medicare. However, before throwing in the towel completely, I thought I'd ask the house here.

Is there a way to use low-cost health care options for ailments like hearing loss in the New Orleans area? Could go as far as Baton Rouge or the North Shore for the right solution. I was thinking maybe having a supervised medical student administer the CAT scan (and other treatment) like how the LSU School of Dentistry does low-cost dental care. Or some kind of low-cost clinic somewhere (though is there a low-cost facility with a CAT scan machine?).

We're not indigent, and would not qualify for any kind of poverty metrics, I don't think ... but we are very cash-poor. The $700 puts anything medical out of reach, but if there were another way that I just don't know about ... ?

Just to be clear: Hearing aids have not been discussed with me as an option. The otologist believes the solution is to check things out by CAT scan, then likely put a tube in my worse ear. So responses to this thread need not go into hearing aids. I'm trying to see if I can take the next recommended treatment step (CAT scan) at reduced cost.

Thanks for any advice.

Not sure if it's an option but there appear to be some resources out there. The link below for example seems to have CT scans starting at $130 and no financial eligibility requirements as long as you are paying out of pocket.

Perhaps you can get the order from the doctor and then see how you might be able to get it done for something more affordable. I ran a quick search for a sinus scan (ear wasn't in the table) in the 70115 zip code and there's an option for $158.

I apologize if this doesn't answer your question or you've already explored it, but "payment plan" can turn that $700 cost into a something a lot more manageable - I am pretty sure most providers will work with you (often without interest) to come up with something you can afford.

My wife and I had a slew of medical bills last year and one of them slipped past me and ended up in a collection agency. They offered me a few different payment plans without interest - we have good credit so that was part of it I'm sure, but I would shop around and talk to the providers billing departments on what they can do.

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful.

I apologize if this doesn't answer your question or you've already explored it, but "payment plan" can turn that $700 cost into a something a lot more manageable - I am pretty sure most providers will work with you (often without interest) to come up with something you can afford.
Thanks for the response. For better or worse (due in part to other medical bills over the last several years), our backs are, indeed, that hard against the wall. $700 financed for a non-life-threatening issue is a hard no-go right now.

Perhaps you can get the order from the doctor and then see how you might be able to get it done for something more affordable. I ran a quick search for a sinus scan (ear wasn't in the table) in the 70115 zip code and there's an option for $158.
This could be helpful -- thank you.

Both Ochsner and LCMC hospitals have financial aid policies. Last I checked, Ochsner will forgive bills for uninsured/underinsured patients if they are below 200% of the federal poverty level, and LCMC does it up to 250%. LCMC also says they'll forgive up to 75% percent for patients under 300% of the federal poverty level.

One caveat: Near as I can tell "underinsured" is not defined by law, which to me says even if you have the tiniest amount of coverage, it's pretty much in the health systems' discretion to tell you that you won't get jack. But that's just my guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom