Imagine if Drew Brees played in this division in its current form, for nearly 20 years (1 Viewer)

St. Geezy

⚜️
Reaction score
This is essentially the luxury Tom Brady had that Brees didn’t.

To basically go into every year all but guaranteed a division title due mostly to divisional ineptitude spanning almost two decades was such a luxury.

Not to take away credit because those guys handled their business in the playoffs every year, but man it sure must have been nice to be all but assured a playoff home game, usually in round 2, virtually every year.

I mean, with a HOF level QB, you would LUCK your way into at least three championships over that span with those annual odds.

To basically go into every year all but guaranteed a division title due mostly to divisional ineptitude spanning almost two decades was such a luxury.

Not to take away credit because those guys handled their business in the playoffs every year, but man it sure must have been nice to be all but assured a playoff home game, usually in round 2, virtually every year.

I mean, with a HOF level QB, you would LUCK your way into at least three championships over that span with those annual odds.
That always frustrated me, the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins could not get the QB/coach question answered for nearly two decades. Mahomes is probably jealous since the Broncos and Chargers probably pose a more legitimate threat to the Chiefs securing a home playoff game than the AFCE ever posed to Brady.

i've often wondered if the NFC South is so wonky bc the other three (and then TB got a cheat code with Brady) spent way too much time building teams to counter SP & Drew - that they never really established and identity of their own

Brady literally had a top 5 scoring defense his entire career. The extreme majority of his "game winning" drives are getting to the 40 yard line and watching Vinatieri and Gostkowski kick the actual game winning points. The dudes legacy is all Belichick building the most ridiculous defense and special teams unit in NFL history. Brady goes to Tampa, a team everyone considered a less turnover prone QB away from a Super Bowl, lucks out with Brees' getting injured, gets a ring against a Kansas City team starting four backup OL in a Super Bowl.

Brady's a good QB, but if he had not been on a team that had a historic coach who built a historic defense and special teams unit, he's never in the same breath as Brees and Manning. Not even close. All but one of Brady's most iconic wins don't even involve him lol.

Seriously, you guys have to let the “imagine what Drew Brees could have done” threads go. He is RETIRED. Seriously, let it go. Stop living in the past. Instead of worrying about the current team and watching the games, just go watch the History Channel. Stop living in the past. It’s over.

Wasn’t Drew our QB the year the NFC South was this bad? I believe the Panthers won the division with 8-7-1 record.

Wasn’t Drew our QB the year the NFC South was this bad? I believe the Panthers won the division with 8-7-1 record.

Yes, that one time. I am talking about over a sustained, 20 year period.

Our division even had league MVP QBs and SB participants in it during Brees' tenure.

Brady literally had a top 5 scoring defense his entire career. The extreme majority of his "game winning" drives are getting to the 40 yard line and watching Vinatieri and Gostkowski kick the actual game winning points. The dudes legacy is all Belichick building the most ridiculous defense and special teams unit in NFL history. Brady goes to Tampa, a team everyone considered a less turnover prone QB away from a Super Bowl, lucks out with Brees' getting injured, gets a ring against a Kansas City team starting four backup OL in a Super Bowl.

Brady's a good QB, but if he had not been on a team that had a historic coach who built a historic defense and special teams unit, he's never in the same breath as Brees and Manning. Not even close. All but one of Brady's most iconic wins don't even involve him lol.
Even with all of that being said, Brady had to come out of retirement, in order to eclipse a retired Drew Brees's records.

Damn us New Orleanians are a nostalgic bunch- We simply cannot help ourselves. I think its engrained in our DNA.

Tampa TB knocked us out of the playoffs more than once

Your first line was in my head before I even clicked into the thread 😁 But for the two seasons Rex Ryan coached a decent Jets team to the AFCCG, Brady had it incredibly easy in the AFC East.

i've often wondered if the NFC South is so wonky bc the other three (and then TB got a cheat code with Brady) spent way too much time building teams to counter SP & Drew - that they never really established and identity of their own

I feel like I specifically remember hearing or reading that the trading up to draft Julio Jones was a "we have to outscore the Saints" move.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom