Interesting stat for receptions from Carr through training camp. (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is from an Underhill article that is behind a paywall.

Here are Carr's most targeted players in camp:

Player/Receptions/Targets
  1. Chris Olave: 40-59
  2. Alvin Kamara: 28-35
  3. Jordan Mims: 17-20
  4. Taysom Hill: 15-20
  5. Foster Moreau: 15-19
  6. Rashid Shaheed: 13-18
  7. Cedrick Wilson: 12-14
  8. Jamaal Williams: 10-11
  9. Kevin Austin: 5-10
  10. Bub Means: 4-6
Note: Underhill said that A.T. Perry only caught one pass from Carr the entire camp. He missed three days of camp, but that's still surprising.

Interesting notes from the article:

Jordan Mims is absolutely making this team ... if the team doesn't find a way to upgrade the position another way. … Say what you want about Foster's production. Sure, it might get cut into with Juwan Johnson back from injury, but while his counterpart was out, Moreau took full advantage of the opportunity he had. He should see a bigger role this season. … Hard not to worry about the timing between Shaheed and Carr. Those two could have used more reps together. … Bub Means came on late and played well. He has a chance to be the No. 4 guy on this depth chart. … Hard to know what to make of Equanimeous St. Brown. He missed 12 practices and only caught two passes from Carr. ... I'm a little worried about how Shaheed will start the season given how much time he missed this summer.

My own note: St. Brown could have had a LONG TD reception from Rattler during the 49ers game as he was wide open on a deep post going toward the left pile-on, but Rattler, who had a clean pocket, heard footsteps, saw ghosts, or whatever, inexplicably left the pocket going to his right and never saw St.Brown. This is an issue that I saw with Rattler (at least during the 49'ers game), either not seeing open WR's like St. Brown deep, or in contrast, ignoring them in the 5-10 yard shallows as he looks for longer gains. However, it was just one game, so I am hoping to see much better from him tomorrow.

Article: Inside the training camp stats: What do the numbers say about where the QBs and skill players stand?

The Mims thing is interesting. He didn't really impress me as a runner in preseason, but it appears that the RBs have been featured in the passing game in the new system in camp, but they did not want to show it in preseason. Apparently Kamara has been lining up all over and splitting out like he did when he first got here. If Mims is a guy that can do those things in the passing game, it makes sense for him to be a lock for the roster. I guess they just haven't shown that part of the offense in preseason.

The Perry thing is also interesting. Sound like Perry may be fighting for the #5 WR job with Bub Means the favorite to be #4.

The Mims thing is interesting. He didn't really impress me as a runner in preseason, but it appears that the RBs have been featured in the passing game in the new system in camp, but they did not want to show it in preseason. Apparently Kamara has been lining up all over and splitting out like he did when he first got here. If Mims is a guy that can do those things in the passing game, it makes sense for him to be a lock for the roster. I guess they just haven't shown that part of the offense in preseason.

The Perry thing is also interesting. Sound like Perry may be fighting for the #5 WR job with Bub Means the favorite to be #4.

Sounds like he's behind Kevin Austin. Not sure how I feel about that. I like Perry.

No, I think all this means is Cedric Wilson Jr. will probably be the #3 guy. I think Perry, Tipton, and Means would ideally round out the room.

I'm not sure they are keeping 6 WRs with all the 21 and 12 personnel this offense is likely to use. They might, but one of them would likely have to be a good special teams guy and I don't think Perry, Tipton, or Means are. My best guess is they keep 5 - Olave, Shaheed, Wilson, Means, and Perry. I'd hate to cut Tipton, but he will probably make it to the practice squad and given the time he missed due to injury and not playing in preseason, it makes it hard to keep him on the team with no skins on the wall.

That could change in the last preseason game, but I think Means is now close to a lock. I would expect Perry to make it, but if someone has a great preseason game this week, he could get cut.

I'm not sure they are keeping 6 WRs with all the 21 and 12 personnel this offense is likely to use. They might, but one of them would likely have to be a good special teams guy and I don't think Perry, Tipton, or Means are.
Pretty much my thoughts. Usually lots of forum arguments every preseason for keeping 6, but rarely seems to turn out that way.

I'm not sure they are keeping 6 WRs with all the 21 and 12 personnel this offense is likely to use....... My best guess is they keep 5 - Olave, Shaheed, Wilson, Means, and Perry. I'd hate to cut Tipton, but he will probably make it to the practice squad......

Agree. I think those are the 5 WRs. Foster's blocking will have him on the field more this season no matter who wins RT. He probably gets 35+ targets (10+ more than '23) as a chip and check down option. JJ missing MC and TC could see start slow. Wilson and JJ are basically competing for reps as the slot. Bub had some good RAC plays in college. I wouldn't be suprised if he finished the year as #3.

No, I think all this means is Cedric Wilson Jr. will probably be the #3 guy. I think Perry, Tipton, and Means would ideally round out the room.

Sure. But based on the stats above, it looks like

1. Olave
2. Saheed
3. Wilson
4. Austin
5. Means
6. Perry

So, Perry only makes it if they keep 6 or he has a huge day tomorrow. Yes, he's competing for #5, but it looks like he's losing that battle with only one more game to go.

1. Olave
2. Saheed
3. Wilson
4. Austin
5. Means
6. Perry

So, Perry only makes it if they keep 6 or he has a huge day tomorrow. Yes, he's competing for #5, but it looks like he's losing that battle with only one more game to go.

Maybe, but those target numbers aren't the only consideration and Austin only caught 5 of 10 targets which isn't good. Also, Perry has played a lot better in the preseason games IMO. Beyond all that, Austin is a guy you can most likely keep on the practice squad. The same is true of Tipton. But Perry and Means are more likely to get picked up by another team.

Interesting comment about Rattler not seeing the open guys consistently. This is the knock against him. He has all the physical attributes but his mental acuity for the position is lacking resulting in turnovers and sacks. Let’s hope Saint coaches can help him improve there to maybe be a starter in the league some day.

IDK what the situation is with ATPerry but he has to find a way to stay on track his size and skillset is undeniable. Just play BIG ATP.
Kevin Austin stays open with Haener like 711, he is always catching TDs 11on11.

1. Olave
2. Saheed
3. Wilson
4. Austin
5. Means
6. Perry

Agree it will be 6 WR's injury's are high during the season. Have to swap Tipton for Austin. Austin goes to practice squad.

1. Olave
2. Saheed
3. Wilson
4. Austin
5. Means
6. Perry

I think a good argument can be made that we have 1.5 NFL WRs on our roster. Shaheed being the 0.5 because the uncertainty about his health. If the other 4 were replaced, I’d lose zero sleep

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom