Isaiah Foskey ready to 'play free' heading into his second year with New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From the Saints Official Site:

Defensive end Isaiah Foskey is ready to "play free" as the former second-round pick enters his second season looking to earn a more significant role on the defensive line for the New Orleans Saints.

"I feel like playing free is just playing with confidence, playing with that little swagger," Foskey said Wednesday. "I feel like that's what I finally got back throughout this OTAs."

Saints Coach Dennis Allen said he wants Foskey to "cut it loose" after the first open practice of OTAs. Foskey said it was a mental block for him and that was part of what he worked on during the offseason.

Foskey played a limited role his rookie season, seeing the field for 83 defensive snaps and 145 special teams snaps, tallying nine tackles and one pass defense. Foskey said he felt he didn't get a good grasp going into his rookie season and that impacted his performance.

"I definitely was a little hesitant going, like looking back from last year," Foskey said. "I feel like that was just like, me just trying not to make a mistake, but now I'm just pretty much going full speed."

Well... I sure hope Foskey shows out! It's not like we've had a lot of luck drafting DE's the last several years.

For that matter, same for Peyton Turner. He's got one last chance to stay off the injury list and be what the Saints thought that he would be when they drafted him. One thing is for sure, ranking in near the bottom in sacks again is not going to bode well for the Saints chances at improving on last season's record. With the DB's that we currently have, if the D-Line can keep pressure on QB it's going to be a fun season to watch on the defensive side.

This is encouraging. If the light comes on for just one of the two (Foskey & Turner) then we could have a solid pass rush to compliment our Secondary. Just imagine what our Secondary could do if QBs didn't have all day to throw. It would be pick city. Sounds like Foskey was overwhelmed as a rookie. Not uncommon at all. The more a player is thinking the slower he plays. I love his attitude and I'm hoping he can go out there and play his game now.

Granderson is going to do his thing and I'm hoping Cam has something left, Chase Young is healthy, and either Foskey or Turner turn a corner. If Turner can stay healthy then at a bare minimum he could be part of a rotation.

If Foskey can come in this season and play loose and free and play with confidence, this will give the D-Line a tremendous boost. Also if Turner can remain healthy and make an impact, this could also be a big boost to the defense. I'm excited to see what happens.

This is encouraging. If the light comes on for just one of the two (Foskey & Turner) then we could have a solid pass rush to compliment our Secondary.
Turner's light is on. He has great games when he's not injured. He's just mostly injured.

We're gonna need 15 sacks between Jordan, Young and Foskey this year, if we wanna establish pressure on the QB. I'm also hoping Granderson continues to improve

If Foskey can come in this season and play loose and free and play with confidence, this will give the D-Line a tremendous boost. Also if Turner can remain healthy and make an impact, this could also be a big boost to the defense. I'm excited to see what happens.
I really would not mind if Foskey is a one trick poney during his second season, and be used only in obvious blitz situations. Just make him go to the quarterback, with no other responsibilities, he will have time to evolve into a complete end after.

Not gonna make it. Tipical statement of a player who’s not going to make it. Nothing against the guy, but it was a reach

How was it a reach when there were draft projections that had him going as early as late 1st round, and likely 2nd round? (Where he was selected).

This idea that if a guy isn’t ready in year 1 he’ll never be ready is simply false.

—————————————

“During the season, there were some prominent NFL Draft analysts with legitimate sources who valued him more in the third round range. After some flashes during the Senior Bowl and an outstanding showing at the Combine, Foskey feels firm in the second round conversation. It wouldn’t be shocking if he comes off the board late in round one, but it would be a bit surprising based on feedback.”

https://www.si.com/college/notredam...inal-projection-for-pass-rusher-isaiah-foskey

“As a run defender, Foskey is solid. He has a strong build alongside the length to set a tough edge at the point of attack. Foskey can hold his ground in run defense, maintaining his gap and rarely ever getting pushed back. He has the power and good hands to fight off blocks to get in on tackles of ball-carriers.

In the 2023 NFL Draft, Foskey could be a first- or second-round pick.”

“Foskey will need to work on expanding how he attacks linemen, working on balance and anchoring at the line of scrimmage to avoid being a liability in the running game. Teams will be eager to allow Foskey to develop within their system, as his production and ceiling combination will make him an ultra-tempting prospect to leap on, and he will likely be productive early in his career.

Projection: Top 50 Pick”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom