Jaylon Smith gone (signed by Raiders) (1 Viewer)

Wisco Steve

WI 3/4 FL 1/4
Reaction score
Raiders signed LB Jaylon Smith to a contract.

Smith was cut by the Saints during roster cut downs and was re-signed to the practice squad soon after. The veteran linebacker appeared in 13 games for the Giants last season, totaling 46 tackles and one sack. The former second-round pick is now on his fifth team in three seasons and will look to prove he still has something left to offer over the final 10 weeks of the regular season.

Source: Doug Hendrickson

He wasn't a factor on ST's and both primary LB's are healthy. He also wasn't able to supplant Baun as Sam. Don't blame him and don't blame us for not pulling him up.
Amen.

I disagree with the assertion he wasn't able to do it. In his short time with the team, his name was called whenever he was on the field. He made plays. For whatever reason, the team decided he wasn't in their plans. I thought it was the wrong decision but I also thought cutting Jenkins was the wrong decision too. I think we left a better defense in preseason.

Raiders signed LB Jaylon Smith to a contract.

Smith was cut by the Saints during roster cut downs and was re-signed to the practice squad soon after. The veteran linebacker appeared in 13 games for the Giants last season, totaling 46 tackles and one sack. The former second-round pick is now on his fifth team in three seasons and will look to prove he still has something left to offer over the final 10 weeks of the regular season.

Source: Doug Hendrickson
Ex giant player now head coach signing ex giant players, not surprising I guess

From what I read, he was never gonna beat out Baun--simply because they viewed him as a middle/interior LB only. Regardless, he was a worthy insurance policy. I am guessing he never flashed enough in practice to gain the elevation. Not playing STs matters, too.
He seemed like a good dude, I wish him the best in Vegas.

I guess the SAINTS didn't want to cut anyone to create a spot on the roster to protect Smith from getting signed by the RAIDERS. I'm sure we would have liked to kept as depth, but just no longer any room.

The room was there if we wanted him. We have went in to many games with an opening on the roster. We just didn't want him enough to keep him.

I guess the SAINTS didn't want to cut anyone to create a spot on the roster to protect Smith from getting signed by the RAIDERS. I'm sure we would have liked to kept as depth, but just no longer any room.
Supposedly, you can protect 4 players on the PS from being poached. Guess he wasn't one of the 4.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom