Jeff Beck est mort. (1 Viewer)

Bacterial meningitis. He made it to 78, though. I didn't know ... or forgot .. he was in the Yardbirds.

My introduction to him was probably his cameo in this video (2:31 mark) -- had no idea who he was at the time!

The world lost a master. Beck was always a bit different, but his talent was remarkable. What I thought was cool in the last decade or so was how he took Tal Wilkenfeld under his wing and gave her the opportunity with the bass as she herself is phenomenally talented.

As a guitarist, I've had many influences. Jeff Beck was always my personal favorite guitarist. What he did with the instrument transcended every other player. With all due respect to the other amazing innovators of the instrument, I've never heard anyone who did the things Beck did. Others have been copied and even improved on, but I believe Beck's mastery of every aspect of the instrument combined with a mind and soul that seemed to understand the very core of what it meant to make music (far more than notes, rhythms, etc.) are unmatched to this day - and may never be seen or heard in that way again.

He leaves us far too soon.

Agreed. As far as sheer mastery of the instrument he has to be the best. Maybe not the most popular, but simply the best at it.

RIP to a phenomenal artist.

Jeff Beck never did have the public following that so many other rock guitarists had, but I think 99% of the people actually in the industry considered him better than every one of those other guys. I place him second only to Robert Fripp as absolute master of the guitar, and it's really a hair thin line between them.

Even post mortem, he'll probably never have the fame of Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Van Halen, Prince, etc., etc., but I'd venture to say he had more influence on professional guitarists than any of them (not meaning to denigrate any of them; just saying that Beck was even more talented and had more of a reputation as someone who would mentor anyone who was serious).

RIP to a phenomenal artist.

Jeff Beck never did have the public following that so many other rock guitarists had, but I think 99% of the people actually in the industry considered him better than every one of those other guys. I place him second only to Robert Fripp as absolute master of the guitar, and it's really a hair thin line between them.

Even post mortem, he'll probably never have the fame of Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Van Halen, Prince, etc., etc., but I'd venture to say he had more influence on professional guitarists than any of them (not meaning to denigrate any of them; just saying that Beck was even more talented and had more of a reputation as someone who would mentor anyone who was serious).

Agreed, Beck is, at least to me, one of those players who never gained the huge monster popularity that some guitar gods did.....but, the players know who the players are....

It's much the same reason when you went to say....see Steve Morse, almost everyone in the audience is a musician....but a lot of folks have never heard of the guy .....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom