Joe burrow picks LSU (1 Viewer)

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Game changer

Breaking: #OhioState transfer QB Joe Burrow has picked LSU, according to highly-placed #UC source. Had narrowed it to LSU and #Bearcats.

So what are his contributions realitive to prior to JUCO and transfer QB’s when he is done?

Andrew Hatch?
Danny Etling?
Zach Mettenberger?
Better than all?
Worse than all?

No one knows. Based on his limited experience at Ohio State, his performance at their Spring game, his size and his arm I would say at this point better than all of them but Mett.

Mett had a true NFL arm, but had zero mobility. Burrow might end up being better than all of them. He will have a better defense than Mett did and that helps. I think he can take LSU from a 7 or 8 win team to a 9 or 10win team. Given LSUs brutal schedule this year, winning 10 games would be quite an accomplishment.

So what are his contributions realitive to prior to JUCO and transfer QB’s when he is done?

Andrew Hatch?
Danny Etling?
Zach Mettenberger?
Better than all?
Worse than all?
Mettenberger was rumored to have been the starter at UGA before he was tossed for groping a girl at a bar. Burrow suppose was the guy behind JT Barrett until his injury. Haskins got some playing time in the interim and Urban has decided to stick with him. He has very little game action.

What we know is that he's been enrolled in tOSU for 3 years. That's 3 years in their strength and conditioning program and 3 years learning from Barrett and Urban Meyer. He's shown that he's very accurate in the small doses that we've seen of him. That alone should make him as a more accurate Etling at worst. I am wary of annoiting him as LSU's savior, but o think he's more ready to play than Brennan and Narcisse. Iron sharpens iron. At worst he makes the position stronger and deeper.

Mett had a real NFL arm, as did Brandon Harris, but Mett was extremely accurate and Harris was extremely not.

From what I have read and seen on Burrow, he has a string enough arm, better than Etling, and is more accurate than Etling.

What may give Burrow the edge over Mett is that Mett had the least mobility of any LSU qb I have ever seen, including Jarret Lee. Burrow, on the other hand, is listed as a dual threat qb. While I don’t see him running a lot, he can run well enough to keep the defense honest and to escape the rush now and then.

I think he is a big upgrade over what we have. McMillen is talking about transferring. I would consider redshirting Brennan who could benefit a lot from another year in the weight room. Narcisse is more physically ready to be the back up.

But who knows? Burrow still has to win the job.

The person most excited about Burrow should be Orgeron. I could see this being Orgerons last year if LSU has another mediocre season. I think Alleva is on the way out and the first job of the new AD is going to be to replace Orgeron if LSU doesn’t do well this season. What’s well? I don’t know, but I think anything less than 9 regular season wins has Orgeron in trouble.

I would be shocked and awed if Burrow was not the starter. He didn’t make his decision based on a chance. Transfers like him need assurances so while not official, I think it’s certain that he will be under center day one.

I would be shocked and awed if Burrow was not the starter. He didn’t make his decision based on a chance. Transfers like him need assurances so while not official, I think it’s certain that he will be under center day one.

I agree. I doubt they flat out verbally guaranteed him the job, but somewhere along the way there was a wink/nod the job was his.

The other qbs probably think this as well. I bet they are understandably upset, they work their butts off and the new guy gets the job. It’s the nature of the business. If one of them had killed it in the Spring, we might have used that scholly elsewhere.

Nick Foles transferred from Michigan State to Arizona when the Spartans brought Cousins in. It’s hard to keep qbs on your roster happy.

I don't think they needed to wink or nod. They just needed to make sure he saw the Spring Game on ESPN before he came down to Baton Rouge. Those three have been given every chance and failed to take a hold of QB1. They either need to step up or step back.

local press are comparing Burrow to Etling insofar as size and style with emphasis on ball protection and accuracy with exceptions being Burrow's mobility and arm strength. He might be a bit more accurate too.

Last edited:
Myles is now on record in his belief that the competition is open and he has a legit shot. Very good to hear. He isn’t conceding the job- nor should he. Obviously, no one has gathered the reigns at the qb spot or they wouldn’t have entered the hunt for Burrows. If you’re a competitor though, you might as well make it a tough decision.

Myles appears ready to fight for it and I like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom