LSU spring practice 2018 (1 Viewer)

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking forward to reading reports on Spring Camp.

Reportedly Myles Brennan will take the first snap for the spring practice. They intend to split work evenly with Narcisse and McMillan.

I hear that they want to create packages that involve all qb’s but admittedly I’m not sure how that will work.

Just a guess, but I think Brennan and Narcisse split snaps this year, 60/40. Brennan is the more consistent arm, which the offense needs to be stable. However, Narcisse is just too damn talented to sit down. Plus, you risk Narcisse potentially transferring out which could be disastrous. I really hope that McMillan hangs around regardless because his maturity can be what raises the level of play from the two young kids.

I'm also curious about CB, although I'm less concerned than most people. Typically we have seen CBs play the slot, but they have Safeties that are talented enough to play it just as well. I think it just makes it easier to get Jacoby Stevens on the field this way. Every couple of years we hear concerns about the CBs after losing a very good player. The reasonable expectation is to see some dropoff, but Corey Raymond always has them ready to play. It may be the cautious approach to have concerns, but the only thing that really concerns me is depth if there are injuries. I have no doubts that whomever starts opposite Greedy will be able to handle their own.

RB is the key to the offense, IMO. The O-Line will be solid, the WRs are all talented and the running game will be needed to bring the QBs along. If Brosette has his fumbling issues resolved, he can be the bellcow that LSU typically has in the backfield. He's no Fournette, Guice or Hill, but he easily just as good as Spencer Ware, Stevan Ridley, Alfred Blue, etc. Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Provens are sure to provide some fireworks as change of pace backs in the Spring, but I think the key to depth will be Curry when he arrives in the Summer. I think he's going to be much better than people expect he will be.

I did see that Joe Gibbs is stopping by for the coach's clinic.

While Orgeron leaves a lot to be desired, he has assembled a pretty good coaching staff. Let's see if it translates on the field.

I'm hoping Narcisse gets some action. Otherwise, I think he's a strong possibility to transfer. I would welcome a 60/40 split with Miles Brennan. That position group will be must see TV. The fate of the Tigers for a few years will be up to these guys.

I'm curious to see the defense....especially the line. They could be pretty good this year. More depth and playmakers. CB is also something to pay attention to. No room for injuries this year at that position.

Sounds like Kirklin is starting opposite Greedy. Neatherly is going to CB. Ed Paris will probably go back to CB when he returns from injury. Fulton is still not practicing. O says he expects a JUCO CB to be added.

Going to be thin at CAB this spring, but the fall should be better.

I read that Ducre is now at RB instead of FB. I'm ready to see the big fella toting the rock again.

Sounds like O will be running a 2 QB system this year. I hope they run it like they did with Hodson and Mickey Guidry back in the day with Narcisse getting a couple of series a game. I don't like when they switch out QB's during a series to run a different play.

News on on Kristian Fulton is that he has been suspended for 2 years for "tampering with an NCAA drug test sample". He has been practicing, but he cannot play. His family hired a lawyer to appeal to the NCAA to have it shortened to one year, which would put him on the field this year. He was tested for the use of performance-enhancing drugs late in 2016 season.

Nothing official has been released that I can find, but from what I can put together from various sources, comments, tweets and press conferences this is what the depth chart looks like today...

QB: Brennan, McMillan, Narcisse
RB: Brossette, Edwards-Helaire, Provens, Fournette, Ducre
FB: Carter, Gallman
WR: Giles, Sullivan, Anderson
LT: Charles, Savage
LG: Brumfield, Campbell
C: Cushenberry, Lewis, Smith
RG: Charles, Lewis
RT: Traore, Magee
TE: Moreau, Moss, Pettigrew
WR: McMath, Davis
WR: Jefferson, Dillon

OLB: Divinity, Thornton
DE: Fehoko, Farrell, Cotton
NT: Alexander, Shelvin
DE: Lawrence, Logan
ILB: White, Queen, Baskerville
ILB: Taylor, Phillips
OLB: Chaisson, Anthony, Moore
CB: Fulton, Kirklin, Vincent
SS: Delpit, Monroe
FS: Battle, Harris
CB: Greedy, Netherly
NB: Vincent, Monroe

*Note: Jacoby Stevens is still listed as a WR on the LSUSports.net website?

I’m hoping that Tyler Shelvin can be an impact player.

Sounds like O will be running a 2 QB system this year. I hope they run it like they did with Hodson and Mickey Guidry back in the day with Narcisse getting a couple of series a game. I don't like when they switch out QB's during a series to run a different play.

With only three scholarship qb's on the roster, the staff is very worried what happens if one transfers out. That's why we keep hearing it's a three qb race that will not be decided in the spring. Orgeron doesn't want McMillan or Narcisse transferring out.

I don't think its a race at all, nor do I think it will be a two qb system. Brennan is the starter barring injury or some drastic change in how the competition proceeds.

I think as of now, based on what I have read, McMillan is ahead of Narcisse for the number 2 qb.

My guess is we will know the order they are in after the Spring game. Brennan will start, whoever comes in after that is probably second string. the only difference will be the third string guy will get more snaps than he usually might, they cant afford any qb leaving because he thinks he is out of the hunt even as first backup.

I don't think that Narcisse will transfer. Proximity played a big role in his college decision if I recall due to family health concerns. He's still in line to get some playing time if McMillan leaves. Brennan is far from locked the position down, so both will see playing time. I just saw on NOLA.com that McMillan is on the leadership council. He might be a bigger threat to starting than people think.
  • Safety John Battle
  • Running back Nick Brossette
  • Guard Garrett Brumfield
  • Defensive end Breiden Fehoko
  • Long snapper Blake Ferguson
  • Wide receiver Jonathan Giles
  • Defensive end Rashard Lawrence
  • Quarterback Justin McMillan
  • Tight end Foster Moreau
  • Wide receiver Stephen Sullivan
  • Linebacker Devin White
  • Cornerback Greedy Williams
I never get why these kids transfer. You see that Quinn and Johnson transfer out and what happens? They sit out a season and then get to play. If they had stayed at LSU they would have seen the field just as quick if not quicker. Even if you don't get the playing time you think you deserve, you will find your way to the NFL if you're good enough. You see plenty of DBs with LSU not start and still get drafted.

Brennan is far from locked the position down, so both will see playing time.

We will see, but I think absent injury Brennan starts day one and he has been the successor to Etling since he was second string last year.

I agree Orgeron will not announce a starter and pretend its a open competition.

I also do not think Ensminger will do a true 2 qb system. he might let another qb run a few wildcat plays, but it wont be alternating series or quarters in the regular season.

I think Brennan should be the starter. He has the best arm of the three and is the most accurate.

The real battle is for second string and I agree with you McMillen may be ahead of Narcisse.

We will see, but I think absent injury Brennan starts day one and he has been the successor to Etling since he was second string last year.
I think this is probably the case, but I bet the gap isn't as wide as people think. Brennan's arm isn't as strong as Narcisse's, but arm strength isn't a pre-requisite to the starting QB role. McMillan's arm is plenty strong for the job, so arm strength isn't going to play a role here.

The deciding factor (IMO) and who should be named the starter is the guy who is most a capable of leading the offense. Maybe that's Brennan, maybe that's McMillan. I do know that one of them was named to the leadership council and one was not. Perhaps that's just something that traditionally has gone towards the more senior players or perhaps that's a sign of who the players gravitate towards more. I can't say. I just found it to be an interesting tidbit and something we know from past experiences should be kept in mind. With talk recently of McMillan performing well behind closed doors, it wouldn't surprise me to see McMillan take the first snaps.

That being said, Brennan is probably going to take the first snaps and they'll work in Narcisse to take advantage of his running skills. McMillan will most likely transfer after graduating in May to a Texas school close to home. LSU fans will spend the season on pins and needles hoping that a QB doesn't get hurt.

While Narcisse is likely at LSU due to close family ties, he's definitely a threat to transfer....especially if he is 3rd string. LSU is in a tough position here. Clearly, they should have signed a QB this class, but missed out on their lone target. Tigers could be in a serious pinch if one QB transfers and Brennen suffers an injury.

Brennan's advantage is his accuracy, a skill that made Brees the great qb he is. Brennan was a 70% passer in high school, which is quite rare. Accuracy is a weakness for Narcisse.

The only accurate passer in recent memory at LSU was Mettenburger. Harris was really bad, Etling only slightly better.

Brennan does have good arm strength as well, that was Etling's big weakness.

I am a lot higher on Brennan than some. I liked Etling's moxie, but Brennan seems to be more polished. From what little I have seen of Brennan, he doesn't have the need to stare down receivers, another weakness of Etling and Harris.

While not a dual qb, Brennan has better feet than Mett or Jarrett Lee.

Brennan is still a bit skinny, but I think if he stays healthy he will do very well. While not an Orgeron fan, I think Ensminger is under rated and we will see a lot of better designed passing plays this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom