LSU vs. ULL in the NIT 3/14/18 (1 Viewer)

egautr1

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So LSU will take on the UL Ragin Cajuns in the first round of the NIT on Wed. 3/14/18 @6 pm. the Game will be in Baton Rouge at the PMAC.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/A...7A-17-E3-0B-7B-61-65-85180311_195434LSUTigers

Anybody gonna go? I might make the trip to check it out. As I went to LSU and my big bro went to UL. We might have to make a brotherly bet. :mwink:

I know UL had a very good year and are deep, but I think Wade has the Tigers on the right path and being in the PMAC will be the difference.

I got LSU by 5 or so.

Who you guys think will take this one??

In the last 10 days, we lost our depth.

Jakeenan Gant, Sunbelt DPOY and NCOY has pnemonia. Hasn't played the last few games and I'll be surprised if we see him Wednesday. His absence was so obvious againt Arlington Saturday. No inside presence whatsoever. We got some good offensive production from Justin Miller, but he's just not the defensive threat Gant is.

And Jonathon Stove suffered a high ankle sprain against Arkansas State last Thursday. He's put some time in but his productivity has been nonexistent.

And I think Bryce Washington got his nose broken against Arlington Saturday. Vicious elbow stopped the game early in the first half and they had to clean a whole lot of blood off of the court. Still had his nose plugged in the post-game presser.

All that said, our depth was ridiculous, so at least we still have the numbers. We had nine who logged significant time this year and throw in some guys who contributed last year but were squeezed out this year can pitch in.

Might mean we play some three guard sets, but at this point you do what you gotta do to make it work.

So I attended the game and had a really good time!

I went with my brother who is a UL fan and we both enjoyed ourselves. It had been many years since I had been at the PMAC and it is looking pretty good. The video boards look great and the court looked good. It still needs some work and updating but it's getting there.

The game was close the whole time. LSU led pretty much the whole way but UL would close the gap to 2 or 3 and the LSU would pull away again. It got kind of testy at the end but the Tigers pulled it out.

There were a lot of Cajun fans there and I hope all had a good time. I heard a few obnoxious tiger fans talking bad about Lafayette which really p'd me off as I am from Lafayette but graduated from LSU. So I take exception to idiots talking down my hometown to get a rib at UL.

Now on the other hand, I though UL coach Marlin said some dumb and frankly childish things about LSU and it got coach Wade fired up. You shouldn't get all flustered when you insult your opponent before the game and then they get excited when they beat you. He started with the snarky comments and whining about the seeding. The thing is he was probably right that they should have been seeded higher but that is not LSU's fault. That was the NIT not LSU. His comments lit a fire under LSU and it came back and bit him.

That said I would like to see these two teams play more often but I don't see it happening now with the way both coaches have acted. I hope I am wrong though. It would be good for college basketball if they played every few years IMO.

I don't think Coach Marlin directed the seeding comment at Coach Wade.

I think his problem (as was a problem for most of the automatic qualifiers) was that most of the automatich qualifiers came from non P5 conferences (and a few of the more prominent conferences) and were assigned 6, 7, and 8 seeds and subsequently had to go on the road to play a P5 team.

Before the pairings were announced we were also rumored to play Mississippi State...again on the road. BTW, UL had a better RPI than Mississippi than the Bulldogs as well.

And somewhere along the line, Coach Wade said he resented somebody saying he was afraid to play UL. Don't know who said this, but it wasn't Bob Marlin.

All that aside, I think you're right...we won't see UL and LSU play anytime in the future. Which is sad because it only makes sense. It helps both team's RPI and SOS, its good for attendance, its good for the state, its good for local recruiting.

Glen Guilbeau wrote a great article on the evening.

Linkee:

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/sto...invitation-tournament-pregame-show/426398002/

I don't think Coach Marlin directed the seeding comment at Coach Wade.

I think his problem (as was a problem for most of the automatic qualifiers) was that most of the automatich qualifiers came from non P5 conferences (and a few of the more prominent conferences) and were assigned 6, 7, and 8 seeds and subsequently had to go on the road to play a P5 team.

Before the pairings were announced we were also rumored to play Mississippi State...again on the road. BTW, UL had a better RPI than Mississippi than the Bulldogs as well.

And somewhere along the line, Coach Wade said he resented somebody saying he was afraid to play UL. Don't know who said this, but it wasn't Bob Marlin.

All that aside, I think you're right...we won't see UL and LSU play anytime in the future. Which is sad because it only makes sense. It helps both team's RPI and SOS, its good for attendance, its good for the state, its good for local recruiting.

Glen Guilbeau wrote a great article on the evening.

Linkee:

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/sto...invitation-tournament-pregame-show/426398002/

yeah that was a good read.

I think both coaches could have behaved and controlled their emotions better. But that is also part of what makes collegiate athletics so great. The fire and passion that the fans have for their schools. I would like for them to play more often but at the same time I can see why LSU wouldn't want to play them at Lafayette as it doesn't really benefit them schedule wise. Yes, it would be good for the fans and the players but it won't happen for the wrong reasons. We will see i guess.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom