Moving Cam Jordan to DT on passing downs (2 Viewers)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The Saints finished near the bottom in terms of sacks last season. One way to remedy that in my opinion is moving Cam Jordan inside on passing downs. That way instead of trying to use speed in which he likely has lost a step, he can rely more on his brute strength.
Can you imagine having Carl Granderson, Bryan Bresee, Cam Jordan and Chase Young all rushing the QB.
Sounds like a winning unit to me.

The Saints finished near the bottom in terms of sacks last season. One way to remedy that in my opinion is moving Cam Jordan inside on passing downs. That way instead of trying to use speed in which he likely has lost a step, he can rely more on his brute strength.
Can you imagine having Carl Granderson, Bryan Bresee, Cam Jordan and Chase Young all rushing the QB.
Cam should be a 2 down DE at this point in his career. Keep him fresh, don’t let him get beat up in the inside.

Cam should be a 2 down DE at this point in his career. Keep him fresh, don’t let him get beat up in the inside.

Cam has even mentioned this being something he'd like to see happen more with Chase Young now on the team.

"At some point in my mind, I'm spinning like it's going to be me, Chase and Carl Granderson on the field at the same time on a crucial third down and I'm probably going to have to go in the middle. I don't care. Whatever it takes. I'll line up and be that Za’Darius Smith over the middle roaming and trying to get active. I think it adds another weapon to our defense."

Most likely there is going to be a 3 or 4 person rotation going: Jordan, Granderson, Young, and maybe Fosky or Turner. Could be a real crazy looking front with all 4 out there at once.

So just as a heads up... the reason Guards don't play Tackle is due to an inability to handle speed, not strength.

Moving Jordan inside has everything to do with using the remaining athleticism he has left to create a mismatch on a less athletic Guard.

I could be misreading things, but Cam looks a bit leaner in recent photos than he’s been in the bulk of his career. I was wondering if there is a plan to have him be somewhat of a situational pass rusher this season. He’s definitely not bulked up like you’d expect from someone who was going to be moved inside, even only situationally.

I think his days as an every down player are over. I sincerely hope he and the coaches realize that and develop a way to maximize his savvy as a pass rusher and limit scenarios where he’ll take unnecessary wear and tear.

Towards the end players usually revert to what they were at the beginning of their careers. I.E. Colston drop issues resurfacing in his later years. For Cam that would be a 2 down run stuffer on the edge who has enough athleticism to push and pressure the QB but not enough to get home. While he's been an ironman he's also fighting (and playing) through more injuries which will only grow as he gets older.

WHEN HEALTHY davenport was an excellent run stopper, I always thought a change of position to interior DT was a smart move for Saints to experiment with him. Maybe they did in practice and wasn't successful but thought it might get more production out of him vs DE

P
WHEN HEALTHY davenport was an excellent run stopper, I always thought a change of position to interior DT was a smart move for Saints to experiment with him. Maybe they did in practice and wasn't successful but thought it might get more production out of him vs DE

Production as a DE was never Dav's problem until his final season here. Ironic that his healthiest season was far and away his least effective. When he was playing 8-11 games a season, he was an absolute monster who made everyone on the D-line more effective. That was the frustrating part about him. He'd show flashes of absolute brilliance, but he could never get healthy. Then, they had him put on weight and he lost any semblance of speed or explosiveness he had. Dude was getting outrun to the sidelines by QBs who were lucky to run a 5.1 40.

Also, the Lambo package should absolutely have Granderson, Jordan, Bresee, and Young with Willie Gay as the pass-rushing OLB. You will be lucky to stop 3 of those guys, much less all 5.

Last edited:
Defending against teams that can scheme a good bit of their passing game on earlier downs 1st and 2nd, teams will begin to try exploiting the Saints defense and Cam in that way. Cam has to stay healthy and a stronger rotation will help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• WxM
Back
Top Bottom