Netflix The Toys That Made Us explains my childhood (1 Viewer)

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I binged 4 episodes while doing some late night cooking for the week last night. This show is fantastic. The He-Man episode (#3) had me cracking up.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ssgWySa6uvQ" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

y'all need to get on this.

SYSK did a pretty good podcast about this
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j1wMQC3K8fo" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(fair warning, this is just the podcast over a single frame)

also, just 'cause

Five Essentials to Meaningful Play

1. Children make their own decisions.
When children choose how to play for themselves, they experience freedom in making those choices. They also begin to see connections between choice and the consequences or results of that choice. The type of toys or materials parents offer can help their children make more meaningful decisions. Open-ended materials can be used in many ways so children can decide for themselves how to use them. For example, a child can imagine a block to be a fire truck or any number of things. A toy fire truck, on the other hand, is usually used as a fire truck. Foam pieces, little wooden sticks, ribbon scraps, and other reusable resources are all open-ended materials that inspire creative thinking and delight when children use them to make something no one has ever made before.

2. Children are intrinsically motivated.
The impulse to play comes from a natural desire to understand the world. This play impulse is as strong as your child&#8217;s desire for food or sleep.1 It is this intrinsic motivation that allows a child to regulate her own feelings and desires in order to keep playing. Because children eventually find it more important to be part of play with their friends than to satisfy their own wants and needs at that moment, children learn self-control. And self-control has been shown to lead to success in later years, especially in today&#8217;s information age, where distractions are part of daily life.2

3. Children become immersed in the moment.
In true play, children are so fully engaged that they lose awareness of their surroundings, time, and space. In this risk-free atmosphere where reality is suspended, children have the security and safety they need to experiment, try new ideas, and investigate the laws of nature. Although they are immersed in their play, children still can recognize reality versus fantasy, something parents often wonder about.

4. Play is spontaneous, not scripted.
Often, play is totally unplanned. Other times, play is planned but a child impulsively makes a change. One child changes his mind, or perhaps a toy does not cooperate. This sense of the unknown provides children with opportunities to develop flexibility in their thinking and decision making, which is a vital life skill.

5. Play is enjoyable.
Play always has an emotional response attached to it. Without this emotional connection, the experience is simply an activity; it is not PLAY. Enjoyment is the direct result of engaging in play. It is FUN! These five essential elements of play outline why play provides your child with a rich experience. And isn&#8217;t that what we want for our children, to develop play memories that will become the &#8220;good old days&#8221;?

I just watched the Star Wars, He-Man and GI Joe episodes. I don't know if I ever would have found this show if not for this thread. Thank you for the nostalgia trip, SebaSaint.

My childhood was shaped by Johnny Quest and the Looney Tunes. As a result I now believe it is possible to fall off a cliff, do a face plant, and immediately rise again as well as be chased by hordes of spear-wielding ne'er-do-wells and never get skewered :)

Can we talk about that He-Man episode? "BONGGGGGGGG!!" hahahahahhahahaa

also, just 'cause

some of the reasons I love the Junior and Senior Kindergarten up here. The play-based curriculum was a pretty big shift, but I've been so pleased. It's been joyous and incredible to watch little ones go through it.

One extremely faint memory I still carry to this day is going to that toy store on the WB expressway in Marrero. I think a Popeyes is there now.

Anyway I remember going there and leaving happy af because it's the day I got Ram Man. :ezbill:

I must have been 4 or 5 years old.

My childhood was shaped by Johnny Quest and the Looney Tunes. As a result I now believe it is possible to fall off a cliff, do a face plant, and immediately rise again as well as be chased by hordes of spear-wielding ne'er-do-wells and never get skewered :)

i really did attempt to put a sail on my skateboard and use a table fan to propel me in my driveway. no lie. I lived for Wile E. Coyote and Yosemite Sam.

My 9 yr old is a LEGO freak ( which i was as well ). But whats REALLY cool is once she builds the actual thing, she disassembles and then her imagination takes over.

For Christmas, she made a Santa, Sleigh and a Reindeer. Just from the miscellaneous pieces from all the sets over the year she got. There was some blue, and yellow and brown parts, but you could tell what she made.

i think ill watch this tonite.

On a side note, I had the GI Joe F-14, but never had the blue Cobra A-10 or the fabled aircraft carrier. I always wanted that aircraft carrier! :angryrazz:

One extremely faint memory I still carry to this day is going to that toy store on the WB expressway in Marrero. I think a Popeyes is there now.

Anyway I remember going there and leaving happy af because it's the day I got Ram Man. :ezbill:

I must have been 4 or 5 years old.

Are you thinking of Lionel Playworld? It was right off the expressway by Home Depot. More Terrytown/Gretna, though...

Also, I still wish I could have had that GI Joe aircraft carrier, but considering the size and price, I understand why my parents never got it for me. However, they did get me the Cobra Terror Drome one Christmas, which was a pretty fun toy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom