New Orleans and LA (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/01/new-orleans-is-the-football-town-los-angeles-will-never-be-heres-why.html

Very well written article about what separate both cities including the love and support for their NFL franchise.

"The Rams think so little of their past they banned one of their all-time greats, Eric Dickerson, from their sidelines a few years ago.

New Orleans, meanwhile, is all Saints, all the time. The franchise was born on All Saints Day in 1966, and despite four initial decades of futility, has been woven into the city’s cultural fabric ever since.
"

to me the biggest distinction is that LA is a mythology of a naive future whereas NO is a mythology of a creatively retold past

also one of the things the article didn't even approach mentioning
NO is the anchor of the 2nd phase of the expansion of America and LA was the last (4th) phase

to me the biggest distinction is that LA is a mythology of a naive future whereas NO is a mythology of a creatively retold past

NO is the anchor of the 2nd phase of the expansion of America and LA was the last (4th) phase

Good points. Much more could have been said indeed. I like the author's statement nonetheless. It is a very appropriate riposte to the quasi fictional last section of the LA times article: https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-rams-saints-plaschke-20190117-story.html

In simple terms; NOLA has more history and importance, relative to this country's evolution, then L.A. could only dream about. They are a large, cookie cutter, metropolis, no different in real history, than say....Dallas, Orlando, Houston...etc.

I read an article this past week that mentioned how much the ticket brokers are pulling for the Saints to make the SuperBowl. They said that the difference in the demand for SuperBowl tickets between New Orleans and Los Angeles will be overwhelmingly in favor of Saints fans. And with increased demand would come higher prices/profits for them. There is no comparison and no debating on which team has the most loyal fan base.

In simple terms; NOLA has more history and importance, relative to this country's evolution, then L.A. could only dream about. They are a large, cookie cutter, metropolis, no different in real history, than say....Dallas, Orlando, Houston...etc.
don't know if i'm going that far - i know this thread/article is not really supposed to be deep cultural analysis - but it could effectively ( but maybe not decisively) argued that hollywood has done more to spread american values across the world than the military
and there are historical and geographic reasons hollywood landed in LA similar to bayou St John being a major reason NO happened

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom