New Orleans Saints Defense Counting On Continued Development From Jordan Howden In His Second Season (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1717735411351.png

After a solid rookie campaign, continued development from Jordan Howden would further strengthen an outstanding Saints secondary.

By Bob Rose - Saints News Network | SI

The New Orleans Saints got a pleasant surprise from S Jordan Howden, a fifth-round choice in the 2023 NFL Draft. As the 11th pick of the fifth round and the 146th overall selection, it was hoped that Howden could contribute on special teams and possibly add some depth to the secondary.

In five years at the University of Minnesota, Howden had four interceptions, broke up 20 passes, and had 5.5 tackles for loss among 240 total stops. His senior season was the most productive with two interceptions, five throws broken up, and 3.5 stops for loss with 40 solo tackles.

A solid preseason and training camp easily earned Howden a spot on the active roster last season. As expected, he'd only see action on special teams in the first two weeks of the regular season. However, a suspension to veteran S Marcus Maye earned Howden his first career start in Week 3.

Maye returned to the starting lineup after his three-game suspension. However, Howden had played well enough to remain a part of several defensive backfield packages. When Maye missed the last six games of the year with an injury, the Saints had no drop-off with the rookie. Howden returning to the starting lineup. ...

Read the Full Story - Saints News Network | SI

Good write-up by Rose.

I thought Howden was a pleasant surprise also. I actually thought that he played better than Maye. He's turning out to be a pretty good later round pick.

My concern is depth. Particularly due to Mathieu's age. So we have Tyrann, Howden, Abram, Amadi, J.T. Gray, and a couple of undrafted rookie free agents. Am I missing someone? I'm not sure that I am real comfortable with that.

I suppose one of the DBs can play safety, particularly McKinstry. That is... if we keep Lattimore and all this trade talk has no legs. Anyone else? Taylor maybe? I guess I'm talking myself into feeling better about the position. If I keep thinking about it while typing I might end up getting excited about the position. :hihi:

The remaining free agent Safety pool is probably the deepest by position at this point. Several of these guys will sign somewhere before the start of the season.

If the Saints aren't comfortable after mandatory minicamp in what they have at Safety this is a well they could dip in to.

There's also the waiver wire on cutdown if starters are set but depth is still a concern.

The Saints have some available cap space to still sign a free agent before the start of training camp. The question is what position that money would be best spent on. Could it be OL, WR, Slot Coverage Corner, or Safety?

Safeties remaining in Free Agency are:

Best Remaining Safety Free Agents, 2024:​

• Justin Simmons
  • Eddie Jackson
  • Marcus Maye
  • Micah Hyde
  • Quandre Diggs
  • Jamal Adams
  • Tracy Walker
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Adrian Phillips
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Kareem Jackson
  • Keanu Neal
  • Rudy Ford
  • Ryan Neal
  • Adrian Amos
  • John Johnson
Source: https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-free-agents-best-available-players/

Last edited:
The remaining free agent Safety pool is probably the deepest by position at this point. Several of these guys will sign somewhere before the start of the season. If the Saints aren't comfortable after mandatory minicamp in what they have at Safety this is a well they could dip in to. There's also the waiver wire on cutdown if starters are set but depth is still a concern. The Saints have some available cap space to still sign a free agent before the start of training camp. The question is what position that money would be best spent on. Could it be OL, WR, Slot Coverage Corner, or Safety?

• Justin Simmons
  • Eddie Jackson
  • Marcus Maye
  • Micah Hyde
  • Quandre Diggs
  • Jamal Adams
  • Tracy Walker
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Adrian Phillips
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Kareem Jackson
  • Keanu Neal
  • Rudy Ford
  • Ryan Neal
  • Adrian Amos
  • John Johnson
Source: https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-free-agents-best-available-players/

Interesting that Simmons especially hasn't been signed. He's now 30-yrs. old, but I haven't read anything stating that there has been any fall-off in performance.

I just searched Google, and found an article where Simmons said the following:

“Honestly, I am looking for a team that is going to give me the best opportunity to play at the level I have been playing at, and on top of that, I am looking for a team that is a contender and is ready to win,” Simmons told The Denver Post. “I feel like I bring a lot to the table leadership-wise but also in my play. I think I can help whichever team it is reach their dreams and goals of winning a Super Bowl.”

That limits his options. Knowing how many teams that he considers contenders, and a fit, that need a safety, is a limiting factor also.

There are some quality safeties on that list that still haven't signed with anyone.

I was hoping for Simmons, but Howden's development combined with cap considerations makes it look like a longshot...I just hope he doesn't end up in the atl.

The remaining free agent Safety pool is probably the deepest by position at this point. Several of these guys will sign somewhere before the start of the season.

If the Saints aren't comfortable after mandatory minicamp in what they have at Safety this is a well they could dip in to.

There's also the waiver wire on cutdown if starters are set but depth is still a concern.

The Saints have some available cap space to still sign a free agent before the start of training camp. The question is what position that money would be best spent on. Could it be OL, WR, Slot Coverage Corner, or Safety?

• Justin Simmons
  • Eddie Jackson
  • Marcus Maye
  • Micah Hyde
  • Quandre Diggs
  • Jamal Adams
  • Tracy Walker
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Adrian Phillips
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Kareem Jackson
  • Keanu Neal
  • Rudy Ford
  • Ryan Neal
  • Adrian Amos
  • John Johnson
Marcus Maye still being unemployed is telling. I wonder if the Saints would take a flyer on him on a vet-minimum contract?

Interesting that Simmons especially hasn't been signed. He's now 30-yrs. old, but I haven't read anything stating that there has been any fall-off in performance.

I just searched Google, and found an article where Simmons said the following:

“Honestly, I am looking for a team that is going to give me the best opportunity to play at the level I have been playing at, and on top of that, I am looking for a team that is a contender and is ready to win,” Simmons told The Denver Post. “I feel like I bring a lot to the table leadership-wise but also in my play. I think I can help whichever team it is reach their dreams and goals of winning a Super Bowl.”

That limits his options. Knowing how many teams that he considers contenders, and a fit, that need a safety, is a limiting factor also.

There are some quality safeties on that list that still haven't signed with anyone.
Justin Simmons is the Safety I wanted the Saints to bring in. But him wanting to play for a contender and wanting to play a majority of the time and probably wanting to be paid as a starter, pretty much eliminates the the probability of him wanting to come here. We have two young Safeties in Jordan Howden and undrafted free agent Millard Bradford who is making plays at OTA's, that need all the reps that they can get to develop and keep developing. Maybe when Simmons realizes the later it gets into the offseason and the closer it gets to the season he may come to his senses and sign for less and take what role he given.

Rudy Ford is a good player who would be fantastic depth. I'm sure he could be signed for vet minimum due to his injury history.

Howden showed me enough to feel comfortable with him taking over for Marcus Maye. Granted, he didn't have to show much because I was never high on Maye. I didn't understand the signing and the scheme fit. We lose both Safeties and they are replaced by Marcus Maye and the Honey Badger? Seemed so random. Both guys seemed like better fits at SS and definitely not the rangy single high FS we had in Marcus Williams.

But such is life. Maye is gone and Honey Badger has been fine. We should be okay with Howden and Honey Badger but the rest of the depth chart looks a little dicey. The Saints feel good about it though I guess because they've had every opportunity to draft top Safeties prospects the last few years. Seems like fans like me place more value on the position than most of the NFL does. Considering the wide open, pass happy nature of the league you'd think that having fast, athletic dudes running around trying to defend all the space on the field would be a priority. To me Safety is like the defensive version of the TE position. Overvalued by fans while the actual teams are willing to get by with whatever they have on hand and use resources elsewhere.

Howden showed me enough to feel comfortable with him taking over for Marcus Maye. Granted, he didn't have to show much because I was never high on Maye. I didn't understand the signing and the scheme fit. We lose both Safeties and they are replaced by Marcus Maye and the Honey Badger? Seemed so random. Both guys seemed like better fits at SS and definitely not the rangy single high FS we had in Marcus Williams.

But such is life. Maye is gone and Honey Badger has been fine. We should be okay with Howden and Honey Badger but the rest of the depth chart looks a little dicey. The Saints feel good about it though I guess because they've had every opportunity to draft top Safeties prospects the last few years. Seems like fans like me place more value on the position than most of the NFL does. Considering the wide open, pass happy nature of the league you'd think that having fast, athletic dudes running around trying to defend all the space on the field would be a priority. To me Safety is like the defensive version of the TE position. Overvalued by fans while the actual teams are willing to get by with whatever they have on hand and use resources elsewhere.

I think the reason for Maye/Badger was that neither were pure single high guys or pure box guys but could play both and be interchangeable. Prior to Williams departure we were a single high man team/Cover 3 unit with some 2 high mixed in. The league itself started to trend to two high, and so did we..along with still being primarily a man team on 3rd down.

With regards to the league trend, unfortunately Safeties are usually the last player to affect the ball thus being devalued. It's a position I'd trade for or sign in FA, same with LB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom