NFL confirms that fan attendance will be left to local authorities and rules (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us anticipated that the league would not adopt a uniform league-wide policy on attendance (as MLB has, for instance) - instead leaving it to whatever the local rules would allow.

At least two NFL coaches (Mike Zimmer and Sean McDermott) have criticized the policy.

“The decisions are made first by state and local health authorities who make the determination as to whether or not it’s permissible for any number of fans or none to congregate at the state,” Jeff Miller, the league’s executive vice president of communications, public affairs and policy, said Monday during a conference call. “We’ve abided by all those state and local public health guidelines. Our clubs have worked closely with those officials in every state to understand what the parameters are. That’s what going to lead us going forward too as the situation evolves over the next weeks and months. We’ll continue to stay in touch with these officials who obviously put, as we do, the health of the community first and abide by their declarations, and we’re doing that in all of the states and all the communities where our teams are playing. . . . It’s a determination of how many fans, if any, are permissible in the state and local communities where our teams play.”

This seriously hampers the integrity of the games we see this season, however long it lasts. Of course, this isn't something totally uncharacteristic of the NFL under GODdell anyway. They've indirectly rigged a few games before, through the refs, as we all know. This year, they'll rig a few via the virus.

This seriously hampers the integrity of the games we see this season, however long it lasts. Of course, this isn't something totally uncharacteristic of the NFL under GODdell anyway. They've indirectly rigged a few games before, through the refs, as we all know. This year, they'll rig a few via the virus.

How does it hamper the integrity of the games?

It's almost certain that no NFL game will be played this year in front of a capacity crowd, or even a half-capacity crown.

Home field advantage in the NFL is barely a thing anyway, truth be told.

This is 100% about more money for the owners. They will take $200 per seat plus concessions and apparel, even if it only means 100 fans in the stands. Pure greed with no attention to equity.

Home field advantage in the NFL is barely a thing anyway, truth be told.

Umm watch this video.. the Rams were helpless in the first half. We just did not take advantage. We should have had 17-21 points in the first half alone to their 3 or whatever.

This is 100% about more money for the owners. They will take $200 per seat plus concessions and apparel, even if it only means 100 fans in the stands. Pure greed with no attention to equity.

I would agree that it's a potentially "inequitable" situation (with respect to competition) if some venues were going to be full - but they aren't. They aren't even going to be at half capacity.

There are potential contract breaches at issue, there are local jobs at issue, as well as overall revenue. It seems like a reasonable choice to me, all things considered. There's just not much chance, IMO, that a 20% or even 30% crowd is going to impact a game in any meaningful way.

I would agree that it's a potentially "inequitable" situation (with respect to competition) if some venues were going to be full - but they aren't. They aren't even going to be at half capacity.

There are potential contract breaches at issue, there are local jobs at issue, as well as overall revenue. It seems like a reasonable choice to me, all things considered. There's just not much chance, IMO, that a 20% or even 30% crowd is going to impact a game in any meaningful way.
I’d also be curious to see the break even point
I would think 20% capacity is playing footsie with overhead, et al

Umm watch this video.. the Rams were helpless in the first half. We just did not take advantage. We should have had 17-21 points in the first half alone to their 3 or whatever.

I bet you’d get chippy with me if I said Vegas oddsmakers think the Saints are one of the teams who perform better on the road than they do at home, so I won’t say it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom