• Hate it. It makes no sense

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Years ago, I worked with an older guy who loved dogs, had dogs his whole life, his parents had dogs before he was born

Several times a few of the women he was dating said to him to choose between her and the dogs and he chose the dogs

(That had to be a gut punch to the ego. HER: "It's me or the dogs" HIM-A split second later "Dogs. Have a nice life")

He hated people who hurt or mistreated dogs

When he was looking to rent an apartment, he didn't care how perfect the place was, how unbelievable the rent was, no dogs, no deal

He had dogs die. Some of old age, some of disease, one was hit by a car. He bawled his eyes out every time

This man LOVED his dogs

All that said, it would never occur to him to refer to his dogs as his children, or to himself as a 'Dog Dad'

If a friend asked him not to bring his dog to his dinner party he said okay, and didn't flip out and end the friendship

He thought that people who did so had a screw loose

And he thought that the people who threw birthday parties for their pet, complete with cake and presents, and even inviting people (with printed invitations!) were certifiable

Like I said this was years ago, when "Pet Parent" was just starting to gain traction. It's definitely a thing now

What are your thoughts on it?

I'm not in the full on hater camp, but I'm definitely in the 'it's weird camp"

I was having a conversation with a woman about her 'kids', and I swear it took 5 minutes before it became clear she wasn't talking about human children. I'm sure the look on my face was priceless

Last edited:
I voted "weird". I also have a dislike for the term "fur baby". Yes, we have a dog. No, it's not my child, nor do I treat it as such.
Ugh. Fur baby.

Also when they try to make the dog sound cuter than it is like, "Pittie".

'Pit Bull' has the same amount of syllables. Call it what it is.

I voted for "love it" but I don't call pets "kids". I don't really personally know anyone who's that overboard with their pets. I would definitely not choose a mate or a friend over a dog especially if that pet has indicated that they don't like the person. There's a reason.

Voted weird and I love dogs. My mother in law stayed with us a few months and would get so pissed I let my dogs in the couch. I was very calm and explained my stance but she wouldn’t let it go, until I said “they live here, it’s their home home. You’re a guest. I am not changing.” I was devastated when my dog died and it has taken a long time but I finally have a new puppy on the way, his name will be Andouille and he is a wiener dog.

All I know is that if my wife had given birth to a furry, four-legged mammal, that bastage Honcho, the German Shepherd that lived around the corner from us, would have been my first suspect. She always commented on what a fine animal he was. :mad:

I'm about as pets > people as it gets, but I don't do the whole "dog dad" "fur kid" etc thing, but hey to each their own
I will buy them a special treat on their birthdays, and throw something in our work chat (they are well known at the office), but it's not like the dogs know.

I went with Love it...although I feel it's a bit over the top, yet not that weird. My dogs have always been a part of the family. They have their fav place on the furniture but I draw the line on the bed. Mine have Xmas stockings also.

Voted weird and I love dogs. My mother in law stayed with us a few months and would get so P'Oed I let my dogs in the couch. I was very calm and explained my stance but she wouldn’t let it go, until I said “they live here, it’s their home home. You’re a guest. I am not changing.” I was devastated when my dog died and it has taken a long time but I finally have a new puppy on the way, his name will be Andouille and he is a wiener dog.

“This is their house, they sit where they want to, you’re a guest, you sit where I tell you to”

Love that you named your wiener dog Andouille

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom