Pool or no pool? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'd hoping to hear from actual long time owners about this one. Do you regret buying a house with one or installing one? How much effort and expense are they on a daily, monthly basis. I have done some research, but it's mostly people that love them and/or make money from them. I'd be interested in hearing from average Joes.

We're not sure if it's best to find something already installed or find a house with the space and install it ourselves. I'm still not sure I want to even deal with it, but I have committed to doing my due diligence first.

We got a house with a pool. Wasn’t really looking for a pool but we wanted the rest of the house. I do all the maintenance on it myself and it’s a chore. Perhaps it wouldn’t seem so bad if I enjoyed pools more.

Running the pump is a big electricity drain for me and the costs of chemicals can add up quickly.

I got busy a couple years ago and the pool ended looking like one of the drainage canals around Nola. Don’t ever let that happen! Getting it right again took weeks.

It’s a little like taking care of a plant. Ideally you put a little effort in at least every couple days, better if it’s everyday. But it won’t go to hell if you’re gone for the weekend.

Last edited:
It depends on if you like water and you would use it. If you are not going to use it then don't get it. If you find a house with an existing pool you like then that is the best way to go, new built pools are expensive these days.

Maintenance is not too difficult. We go back and forth from doing it ourselves or paying $120/month for weekly service. Just don't get caught up in all the pool store chemicals, liquid bleach works best for keeping everything stable. plenty of good tips can be found online.

We do not see a big difference in electricity usage and the pump runs about 6 hrs/day. We could not imagine what we would do in the byard if we did not have a pool so we love it.

Last edited:
I tell people I work on it more than use it.

Whereas that used to be the case I really don't have to mess with it that much any more. A good powerful pump with chemical balance will keep it pretty clean and your labor down. It made a huge difference when my pump burned up and I replaced it with one that was only a bit more powerful.

It came with the house and I like having it.

Unless something breaks costs are minimal.

I too have had the swamp appear after not caring for it one winter. Was not easy to resolve due to the amount of leaves on the bottom but once I got that under control HTH Green to Blue was the solution. Drops the funk to the bottom Vacuum to waste. BAM!

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
We just contracted to build one.

I had no idea of the cost until we started looking. Spent more for tanning ledge/bubblers and waterfall. But from everyone I've spoken with, said do it.

Ditto on the saltwater system.

We havea shady property and the leaves are a pain in the ***. However, the pool does not get hot tub warm in the summer. My wife and kids love it, and the wife maintains it. Abby managed pools in high school and college so she can handle it. I can turn on the pump and the underwater spinny light thingy, and that's about it. When something breaks it's expensive as hell; we had to replace the old liner last year for 6K.

Pools are like boats, you're better off having a fiend with one :hihi:

I have a salt water liner pool and it's still a huge pain. For every hour I spend in it I probably spend 10 hours on maintanence. Chemicals are costly. And this year has been especially bad with all the rain we got. If I end up moving any house with a pool will be an automatic DQ.

Don't own one, never had a desire to. But of the three people in the immediate/near family who have one one in addition to two other close friends, 3 of the 5 ended up filling theirs in. Use didn't come close to justifying cost and work to keep it up. A 4th is keeping it because they are planning to sell the house with it. The 5th is the only one where it gets reasonable use.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
I'd hoping to hear from actual long time owners about this one. Do you regret buying a house with one or installing one? How much effort and expense are they on a daily, monthly basis. I have done some research, but it's mostly people that love them and/or make money from them. I'd be interested in hearing from average Joes.

We're not sure if it's best to find something already installed or find a house with the space and install it ourselves. I'm still not sure I want to even deal with it, but I have committed to doing my due diligence first.
Grew up in a home with a pool. I'll never own one. Too much maintenance. Of course systems are probably better now, but all I remember was constantly brushing, skimming, and having to test the water by going arm deep in the dead of winter.

No thanks, just not worth it.

We just bought a house with one (came from one without). Had to spend a ton of money getting it ready and still shelling out money just to get it going right. I don't think it's worth it at all, but the kids love it and would swim every day if they could. If they use it for 14 more years through school, it's probably worth it.

but I hate it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom