PS3 Disk Drive went out (1 Viewer)

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like the drive on my kids PS3 went out. The system works fine and they can play demos but it won't read any disks and is making a noise when it tries.

Are those things replaceable? If so are there any pitfalls I should be careful of? Do I need to match up the drive to the model number or are the universal? Anyone have a reliable link or place to pick one up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

i don't know what they would charge to replace the disk drive but it was $150 when my HDD went out....

if it's that much, you might be better off replacing the whole thing and doing a data transfer from one to the other

Yeah, anything over $100 and I will just get a new one. This thing is pretty old and I'm not investing more than $100 in it when I can get a new one for a little over $200.

I'm pretty sure you can get a nice big drive to upgrade under $100. Do a Google search for ps3 compatible drives. It is fairly universal to the notebook spec and should be easy to accomplish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

only way it is worth the extra 50 is if it is a Backwards compatible one...

Can probably sell for 200 on ebay or something.

I'm pretty sure you can get a nice big drive to upgrade under $100. Do a Google search for ps3 compatible drives. It is fairly universal to the notebook spec and should be easy to accomplish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

i think he is talking about the blu-ray disc drive

only way it is worth the extra 50 is if it is a Backwards compatible one...

Can probably sell for 200 on ebay or something.

Our current machine is the backwards compatible one. However, the kids don't play any of those old games so I don't need the new disk drive (or new PS3 if I go that route) to be backwards compatible.

Was only worth it if you wanted to try and make a very small profit from selling it on Ebay... Hell put it on ebay anyway for 75 dollars, say it is BC and just needs to be refurbished.

Very easy to change out. Buy the part on ebay for under around $40. It will come with a warranty also. Yes you need to buy the same drive you have. Different models have different drives. Youtube will guide you. It can be done in 15 minutes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom