Question about Westbrooks long run.... (1 Viewer)

Jason2381

Rookie
Reaction score
Dont know if this has been discussed. I just heard someone comment that they had recorded the game and while they were watching the Westbrook big run they noticed that the Saints only had 10 players in the game on defense. Anyone else noticed this.

That is what i counted on defense when i was watching, but the announcers didn't say it, so i just assumed there was someone out of the camera's view.

Their tight end made two HUGE blocks on that play.

I thought the same thing when I watched the tape after I got home. However its because the corner on the Philly left side is not in the screen when they show the angle from behind the play. Just after the snap you can see him run into the screen for a split second. We had 11 people in, just not enough on the Philly right side...

you can only see 10 saints players and 10 eagles players in the behind the line view, i'll have to go back and rewatch from the sideline view, but I think you can't see Stallworth and Thomas split out wide

however, the reason for the big play was mainly due to them catching us in a bad set. charlres grant immediately went up the line on the snap and got shielded off by runyan -- then LJ picked off McKenzie and Bellamy before getting into open field.

There were 11 we were just overstacked on one side. This was the problem in 1 of the WIllie Parker 70+ yard runs and in the Julius Jones big run as well. It's part of the risk involved in the aggressive defense we run.

There were 11 we were just overstacked on one side. This was the problem in 1 of the WIllie Parker 70+ yard runs and in the Julius Jones big run as well. It's part of the risk involved in the aggressive defense we run.

So it's a designed risk and not likely to change any time soon?

The left side of the Dline was crashing right. Looked like Grant was on a full stunt but i could be wrong - could have been good blocking. It all boils down to this - when your defense play is designed to move in one direction, and the o goes the other way, you give up a 63 yard touchdown. But when you overload and crash and blitz in one direction, and the o is going to that direction, you end up having bellamy blow up a roll out play action pass and fujita preventing a third down conversion that forces a field goal.

Sometimes we call super agressive plays, but you're not going to hit 100% of the time. Why do you think that the announcers say that our achilles heel is that we give up the big play? sometimes it's skill based like watching when fred t gets burned, but even then that's a result of a calculated risk to leave him on an island due to something else going on elsewhere.

Our staff calls agressive game plans, and seeing as we're in the NFC Championship game I'm not going to doubt them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom