Ridge Vents and Shingles... Required on top? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I bought a nice little drone and decided to fly it around. I just noticed 18 months after we built our house, the roofers never put shingles on top of the ridge vents. Is this a big deal or just aesthetics? I flew over the neighborhood and it appears I am the only house with this little issue. Do I need to get them out here to finish or can I just leave it be? It's 18 months later, so I may have issues is why I am asking.

I bought a nice little drone and decided to fly it around. I just noticed 18 months after we built our house, the roofers never put shingles on top of the ridge vents. Is this a big deal or just aesthetics? I flew over the neighborhood and it appears I am the only house with this little issue. Do I need to get them out here to finish or can I just leave it be? It's 18 months later, so I may have issues is why I am asking.

Post a picture, but there are cheap aluminum ridge vents that don't get shingled over. They're not used much in places where you have hurricanes because they don't generally meet wind code, but they exist. Someone saved $1-200 by not using the shingle over ridge vents depending on size probably.

Only picture I have right now. They were supposed to come look at it, but I heard that before. I need to call them again.

Attachments

• photo_2019-03-02_13-23-31.jpg
    photo_2019-03-02_13-23-31.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 26
Yes, you need to have them come back and install them. You paid for those shingles. While I wouldn't expect the plastic to fail prematurely without the ridge cap shingles, I would be concerned about the quality of installation this crew performed based on this omission.

Only picture I have right now. They were supposed to come look at it, but I heard that before. I need to call them again.

The picture isn't large enough for me to tell, but it looks like you have the old style, exposed vents.

Another question I would have is whether ridge vents are even proper for your style roof. Based on that photo, my guess is that you don't have enough ridge to provide proper NFA for ridge vent for your attic size.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom