RIP Martin Mull (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
RIP to a very funny man.

I'll never forget him on Letterman describing what happened on the very first Fernwood Tonight episode. The audience wasn't told the premise, and he said it was a good five minutes or so into the show with absolutely nothing coming from the audience. Suddenly, he heard some guy say out loud, "Oh, it's supposed to be bad! They're making fun of talk shows!" At that point, everyone got it and within a minute were laughing out loud at their antics.

One of his early "hits". Pretty sure this pre-dates Fernwood Tonight.

Ugh, this one hits hard, my first comedy album was Martin Mull Near Perfect....

Oh, I forgot he was Roseanne's boss when she was a waitress and then eventually became co-owners in the diner!

His character Barth Gimble that hosted "Fernwood Tonight" and "America Tonight" actually came from the dreadful sitcom "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" on which he played the same character.
So in some way, that horrid sitcom actually launched his career (if you've never seen it, consider yourself lucky and don't bother trying to hunt it down anywhere).
Fernwood Tonight/America Tonight was brilliant, though. I loved that show!

I'd bet he guest-appeared in at least 100 different sitcoms and cartoons over the last 40-50 years. A testament to how well he was known in the industry is how many times he appeared playing himself on different shows rather than as a random character (though obviously, most of the time it was as a random character).

I knew Martin Mull from his appearances on Roseanne and Arrested Development

I guess I'll put him in the same category as someone like Linda Ronstant - I casually knew who they were but they were much bigger, more popular, more influential than I thought

A few years ago he was on a show called The Cool Kids with Vicki Lawrence, David Allen Grier and Leslie Jordan. They lived in a retirement home/community in Arizona. It was pretty funny, Only lasted 1 season tho, but i think it was a victim of the pandemic.

1719948163456.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom