Article Saints Film Study: The defense is now winning games instead of losing them + Video Film Study (2 for 1) (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Big plays by the defense were key in their win. A lot of people dumped on P.J., but even though he got picked on early DA made good adjustments to help take those opportunities away. Also isn't being talked about enough how good/consistent our LB room is either.

Notes:
-D allowing an average of 20 PPG over last 4.
-Allen making good in-game adjustments
-DL winning their 1on1s
-Taking advantage of mistakes by opposing offenses.

Also, feel free to ask questions about anything the thread. You gals/guys know I love talking ball!

Saints Film Study: The defense is now winning games instead of losing them

Nice report as usual, but it is sad that Davenport is about to miss a month. Go Alex!

No one really mentions Loewen... the guy who in the off-season up-righted an SUV, pulled the door off, and drug the driver to safety...

I HATE Davenport missing any time, but I believe with fresh rotation we can keep the pressure, if not equal, at least close to equal what we seeing. Okafor, Hendrickson, and Loewen is nice depth to have.

I worry about the short passing game to Gurley specifically. It's impossible to get pressure on those extended handoffs, and it could eliminate the strength we have in our run D.

As good as we have been against the run how do you think this defense will fair again Gurley?

Unstoppable forced meets immovable object(s). I think the Saints can slow him down, but I don't think they can stop him. The Rams OL, and Gurley, are extremely good.

No one really mentions Loewen... the guy who in the off-season up-righted an SUV, pulled the door off, and drug the driver to safety...

I HATE Davenport missing any time, but I believe with fresh rotation we can keep the pressure, if not equal, at least close to equal what we seeing. Okafor, Hendrickson, and Loewen is nice depth to have.

Well, to be honest, I've never really been on the Loewen train. He's versatile, and better against the run than T-Rex, but arguably the poorest pass rusher in the DL depth. He's a great depth piece though.

I worry about the short passing game to Gurley specifically. It's impossible to get pressure on those extended handoffs, and it could eliminate the strength we have in our run D.

Certainly something to worry about, but I think the saints have done a really good job of combating the short attack. It's the Rams ability to stretch the field that worries me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom