Saints waive Kellen Mond & Tommy Kraemer (QB Kellen Mond invited back for tryout) (2 Viewers)

Surprised to see Kraemer go so soon. He played ahead of linemen still around, like Mark Evans, last season. I'm guessing the new staff feels he isn't quite the athlete.

The question is: Who made him expendable?

Does Sincere Haynesworth start at C and McCoy move to G?

1715258555927.png

Last edited:
I would have thought that Mond had more upside. I guess Peterman has more years in the league, which the team must value more than upside for camp and with the two other young QBs. Sure seems like they go into the season with Carr, Rattler, Haener, and Hill. I don't really see a path for Peterman.
If I remember correctly, Peterman has played with Carr so there's a certain comfort level with the two. I think Peterson stays to be active on gameday or ER QB just to offer sideline help to Carr.

If I remember correctly, Peterman has played with Carr so there's a certain comfort level with the two. I think Peterson stays to be active on gameday or ER QB just to offer sideline help to Carr.
It is going to be interesting to see what the Saints do with the backup QB's...

Neither Haener nor Rattler with make it through waivers and onto the practice squad.

Peterman was a 5th round draft pick 8 years ago now on his 4th NFL team. He has a career record of 1 win, 4 losses as a starter with a total of 4 TDs and 13 Ints., a passer rating of 39.4 and a completion percentage of 53.1. He's a 30-year-old journeyman. Does he sound like a project QB to develop for the future or a serious #2 contender to make the roster who you would have confidence leading the team should Carr get hurt? I'll answer that.....Hale No!

Peterman is here to bring and share his NFL knowledge to the QB room, not the field other than being a training camp arm. He won't make the final 53-man roster.

He's probably not even a candidate for the practice squad. A spot there would be best used for a younger player with upside potential. If he did make the practice squad, there's no way he would be considered as a gameday EQB3 when you most likely will have Haener and Rattler in front of him with one as the gameday #2 and the other the EQB3.

As far as being any sort of help to Carr on the sideline Peterman doesn't have to be an active player. If he is on the practice squad, he would be on the sidelines in street clothes to fetch Carr his baseball cap, a towel, Gatorade, or the Microsoft tablet. Anything else would be limited advise from his point of view. Just mho.

The question is: Who made him expendable?

Does Sincere Haynesworth start at C and McCoy move to G?

1715258555927.png

I think the most realistic thing for Haynesworth is to compete for that backup spot that can cover both guards and center. And maybe compete with Saldeveri at LG. I don't think it's realistic to expect a UDFA is going to come in and kick our best OL out of his spot.

Neither Haener nor Rattler with make it through waivers and onto the practice squad.

I think the ideal situation is if Rattler wins the No. 2 job, but I suspect both Rattler and Haener are on the roster with Carr. That is unless Haener falls on his face learning the new system in which case they keep Rattler and Peterman. I think Peterman is more or less here to be a veteran with knowledge of the system helping Carr and the young guys learn it. The worse case scenario is that Haener is bad in the new system, Rattler doesn't win the No. 2 job and Peterman is your No. 2. If that happens, I would think they would look on the market for a better veteran No. 2 after final cuts.

I think the ideal situation is if Rattler wins the No. 2 job, but I suspect both Rattler and Haener are on the roster with Carr. That is unless Haener falls on his face learning the new system in which case they keep Rattler and Peterman.

You left out the possibility that Rattler and/or Peterman falls on their face learning the new system and the scenarios that could play out should that happen, right?

I think Peterman is more or less here to be a veteran with knowledge of the system helping Carr and the young guys learn it. The worse case scenario is that Haener is bad in the new system, Rattler doesn't win the No. 2 job and Peterman is your No. 2. If that happens, I would think they would look on the market for a better veteran No. 2 after final cuts.
The worst-case scenario is that either Haener or Rattler, or both, are bad in the new system. Peterman is not a legit #2 to go into the season with. A 30-year-old journeyman with horrific career stats is not likely to be the answer to step in and carry the team forward. If any of the above scenario's surface, which I highly doubt they will, the Saints would be scrambling to find an upgrade to what they now have. Here's hoping that both Haener and Rattler shine to the extent that there is a serious battle for the #2 spot at QB with it being a toss-up. That would be a good problem to have.

You left out the possibility that Rattler and/or Peterman falls on their face learning the new system and the scenarios that could play out should that happen, right?

The worst-case scenario is that either Haener or Rattler, or both, are bad in the new system. Peterman is not a legit #2 to go into the season with. A 30-year-old journeyman with horrific career stats is not likely to be the answer to step in and carry the team forward. If any of the above scenario's surface, which I highly doubt they will, the Saints would be scrambling to find an upgrade to what they now have. Here's hoping that both Haener and Rattler shine to the extent that there is a serious battle for the #2 spot at QB with it being a toss-up. That would be a good problem to have.

Rattler isn't getting cut in his first year so I don't think it matters if he falls on his face in the new system. He will get at least one more year. As far as Peterman, I don't think he can fall on his face. He already knows the basic system and he is who he is going to be, a bad backup QB. And that's why I said that if Peterman ends up as the #2, they likely look for a better #2 after final cuts.

In the end, I have some optimism that either Haener or Rattler will step up to be a capable #2 with upside.

Why wouldn’t Haener? Saints fans have overvalued someone who hasn’t played a NFL regular season down without getting suspended.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom