Saints war room-decisions? (1 Viewer)

tim martin

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Does anyone know how pick determination is made for the saints? Who gets final say?

I would think Loomis has final say, but guess that Dennis Allen actually makes the call. Ireland is probably the loudest voice in the room. Either way, it's definitely a group decision. The head coach is normally the one who calls the player right before the pick is announced, right?

Loomis gets final say. On paper, he makes the decisions. When Payton was head coach, one suspected that Sean's voice was the loudest in the room, though one also suspects that after at times vigorous debate there was a rough consensus as to what should be done. The really interesting question is how much more influence in personnel matters Jeff Ireland has now compared to what he had when Payton was head coach. My guess is that he has to have more because Sean was the 900-pound gorilla in the room, but only those inside the organization know how much more.

I doubt there’s all that much ‘action’ in the war room as we might imagine
SP (and probably ML) became a believer in metrics
I have to imagine all scouted players have a score/ranking - they go into the draft with most everyone slotted
So when pick X comes up, they just consult their chart to see who the highest value is
I doubt there are many scenarios where two players are so close they need to hash it out/coin flip in the war room

Loomis gets final say. On paper, he makes the decisions. When Payton was head coach, one suspected that Sean's voice was the loudest in the room, though one also suspects that after at times vigorous debate there was a rough consensus as to what should be done. The really interesting question is how much more influence in personnel matters Jeff Ireland has now compared to what he had when Payton was head coach. My guess is that he has to have more because Sean was the 900-pound gorilla in the room, but only those inside the organization know how much more.
Well the reason Ireland was brought in is SP and/or ML realized the process wasn’t working
It might not have effected the final say very much, but I bet it altered most of the steps leading up to final decision

I don't know because I have never been there, but I doubt there is loud debate during the draft. The hard work of ranking the players, exploring trade options with other teams, and deciding what the team should do under multiple scenarios has already been done. On draft day, unlike Sonny Weaver, Jr. is your general manager, there isn't much time to debate.

I agree that Ireland was brought in because our drafting before 2016 was a mess and Ireland has changed the process.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom