Saints writer Barry Hirstius passed (1 Viewer)

He was not like by many here for the way he did things to get his story out. But can't deny he is a fan and very passionate about the team. I truly respect that and sorry that he is gone. Condolences to his family.

I followed him in Twitter. Great history buff of the team and did a really cool ‘bold predictions” before every game. Peace to his family.

I didn't follow his work at all but it's always sad to read stuff like this, especially at this time of year. Hope his family, friends, and fans are able to get through it.

For those of you who may not have known Barry's work and also those who did, below is a snippet from an article about Barry and his passing. It's a good read.

Featured Big Easy Magazine Saints Columnist Barry Hirstius Passes Away – A Tribute

1609051402589.png

By Scott Ploof - Publisher Big Easy Magazine

On Christmas Eve, Big Easy Magazine featured Saints columnist, Barry Hirstius passed away at the age of 53. Barry was a fighter, two-time cancer survivor, passionate Saints writer, military Veteran and staunch social justice advocate. Prior to writing for Big Easy Magazine, Barry wrote for Saints News Network, an affiliate of Sports Illustrated, where he garnered a loyal following. He made several appearances on ESPN radio and other local Saints radio broadcasts.

On Christmas Day, I received a message from Barry’s brother, Steven, informing me of his passing because he knew Barry was working on an article for Big Easy Magazine. Just a week preceding Barry’s death, he asked me to be patient because he had been very ill over the course of the last two weeks. I urged him to take care of himself and not worry about the article. This is just one example of how Barry was so considerate of others even while he was suffering.

Upon learning of his unexpected passing, Barry’s fan base responded with an outpouring of condolences, shock, and support for his family and friends. Larry Holder, a prominent Saints columnist for The Athletic, tweeted “Barry was always someone I enjoyed tweeting with. Good guy gone too soon.” Barry loved his followers. He had a special relationship with his fan base, often times responding to tweets from his fans. Chris Rosvoglou, a sportswriter for The Spun, tweeted “This is heartbreaking. Barry was always so kind to me on Twitter and I always appreciated our conversations on the Saints. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.” Hundreds of other syndicated sports columnists also took notice. Nick Underhill and Michael Detillier were also among many more who recounted positive memories and expressed support.

Full Article - Big Easy Magazine

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom