Saturday Night Live Movie (1 Viewer)

Looks interesting. I wonder how much we'll see of the relationships between the cast (many of whom knew each other from doing National Lampoon's Radio Hour) or if it will just focus on the battle between Michaels and the execs, then the "surprise hit" aspect of it.

“Saturday Night” will be released in theaters on October 11, exactly 49 years after the first episode of “SNL” aired.

I'm in!

A couple f bombs

If this is a hit I wouldn’t mind more of these

When Eddie Murphy saved SNL

Maybe one set in the 90s the Phil Hartman Chris Farley years

Then Tina fey era

I wonder if their going to focus on Billy Krystal’s “burn-out” flaky walkout where he essentially got cold feet, left the studio, got on a subway ride back home all the time subconsciously feeling he just sabotaged his own career as a comedian, performer, and actor. He couldn’t have been the only comedian on the show who was very nervous about whether the show would be a hit or not because in the context of mid-70’s U.S late night programming, aside from Hee-Haw and perhaps Monty Python, SNL was still very much a brand new novelty “variety show” act.

I was completely unaware that Crystal was supposed to be on SNL’s first season and that he essentially quit the show hours before the first show aired in November 1975.

Looks interesting. I wonder how much we'll see of the relationships between the cast (many of whom knew each other from doing National Lampoon's Radio Hour) or if it will just focus on the battle between Michaels and the execs, then the "surprise hit" aspect of it.
Most of the original SNL cast were members of Chicago’s Second City theater trope in the early 1970’s or its Toronto Canadian SCTV off-shoot that was sort of Canada’s SNL ( 1976-84) with John Candy being the most notable, arguably most successful alumni along with Eugene Levy, who starred in Schitt’s Creek and was the father of one of the main characters in American Pie movies. His son has turned out to be a damn good actor/comedian in his own right, too.

Most of the original SNL cast were members of Chicago’s Second City theater trope in the early 1970’s or its Toronto Canadian SCTV off-shoot that was sort of Canada’s SNL ( 1976-84) with John Candy being the most notable, arguably most successful alumni along with Eugene Levy, who starred in Schitt’s Creek and was the father of one of the main characters in American Pie movies. His son has turned out to be a damn good actor/comedian in his own right, too.
Eugene Levy.

Yes, I forgot to mention their time (most of them) with Second City. Good call.

EDIT: By the way, I would have to say ("I must say") that while actually many of them did well following its run, Martin Short has the longest success of any of the Second City TV cast and therefore probably beats out John Candy as the most notable of them.

Last edited:
Eugene Levy
The name popped up back in my head as soon as I finished my original reply then returning to edit it. Thanks for the reminder anyway. It’s very much appreciated.

Thing is, Levy’s been a highly successful voice actor too playing a Homelander-type character in the 1981 animated adult film classic Heavy Metal.

Eugene Levy.

Yes, I forgot to mention their time (most of them) with Second City. Good call.

EDIT: By the way, I would have to say ("I must say") that while actually many of them did well following its run, Martin Short has the longest success of any of the Second City TV cast and therefore probably beats out John Candy as the most notable of them.
Yeah, the actress who played Kevin McCallister’s mother in the first two Home Alone movies originally was a SCTV cast member during its 8-year series run.

Yeah, the actress who played Kevin McCallister’s mother in the first two Home Alone movies originally was a SCTV cast member during its 8-year series run.
Yes, and it's a shame she's mostly known for those two horrible films than all the great stuff she did on SCTV.

Really, just about all of them did quite well after being "launched" by SCTV:
We've already mentioned Eugene Levy, John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, and Martin Short.
Rick Moranis was in several successful films like Ghostbusters and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.
Harold Ramis was only in the cast during its run in Canada before being picked in the US, but he had a great career in films as a writer, actor, and director.
Brian Doyle-Murray (brother of Bill Murray) continues to have much success as a character actor in film and television. You've seen him way more often than you'd think as he's been in about 175 films and TV shows (counting voice over acting as well).
Dave Thomas' career after SCTV isn't as obvious as some of the others, but that's because he was employed mostly as both a writer for film and television, having written "Spies Like Us," and for many TV series including "Grace Under Fire," "The Blacklist," "Bones," and for voice-overs in animated films and series. He's actually been in well over 100 films and television shows himself since SCTV ended.
Joe Flaherty had a long career as a character actor before retiring from it in 2014 (he passed away earlier this year), appearing in well over 100 movies.
Andrea Martin became a very famous and respected Broadway performer, winning Tony awards and Drama Desk awards (I believe she holds the record as the most nominated actress ever in the Tony awards), but she has also appeared in nearly 200 films, mostly in character parts.

Yes, and it's a shame she's mostly known for those two horrible films than all the great stuff she did on SCTV.

Really, just about all of them did quite well after being "launched" by SCTV:
We've already mentioned Eugene Levy, John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, and Martin Short.
Rick Moranis was in several successful films like Ghostbusters and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.
Harold Ramis was only in the cast during its run in Canada before being picked in the US, but he had a great career in films as a writer, actor, and director.
Brian Doyle-Murray (brother of Bill Murray) continues to have much success as a character actor in film and television. You've seen him way more often than you'd think as he's been in about 175 films and TV shows (counting voice over acting as well).
Dave Thomas' career after SCTV isn't as obvious as some of the others, but that's because he was employed mostly as both a writer for film and television, having written "Spies Like Us," and for many TV series including "Grace Under Fire," "The Blacklist," "Bones," and for voice-overs in animated films and series. He's actually been in well over 100 films and television shows himself since SCTV ended.
Joe Flaherty had a long career as a character actor before retiring from it in 2014 (he passed away earlier this year), appearing in well over 100 movies.
Andrea Martin became a very famous and respected Broadway performer, winning Tony awards and Drama Desk awards (I believe she holds the record as the most nominated actress ever in the Tony awards), but she has also appeared in nearly 200 films, mostly in character parts.
Yeah while I mostly liked SNL I LOVED SCTV
So funny, so versatile, so weird

Yup, Second City gave us so many talented folks and I always thought was the inspiration for SNL....it changed culture/TV and was a very important part of growing up for me and so many of our generation.....Thankful for all of it....

in that trailer, whoever is playing Chevy Chance nailed him.
i had to go back and look at it again to make sure it wasn't really him CGI'd..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom