Starting to think Darius Butler is the best CB in the draft... (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dude had snaps at WR, so you know he has hands (although he dropped one in this highlight), and he's a "student of the game". He understands routes and the passing game, and he has great recovery speed. He ran in Kenny Britt's hip pocket on a couiple of these highlights.

Dude does NOT mind tackling, and he can play man and zone and is very physical.

Check out how they rave about Butler... as opposed to the other guys (Jenkins/Davis).

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fa3cae

Here's a small highlight package on butler.

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>
&nbsp
&nbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6znwwOBvWI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>

You might want to check that hands statement. Go look at his Int's. I think that his big negative is his lack of interceptions.

It depends on what you are looking for. Butler has great speed and length, but he is not very affective in run support. Think of a poor man's Deon Sanders.

Vontae is the best overall CB in playing press coverage and run support, but his attitude has been well documented.

Jenkins has the skins on the wall and has played against the best competition of the three, but he had a safety's 40 time.

I really don't care if Butler is the best corner. I don't want a corner, I want a FS, OLB or DT. I won't complain if we end up with a corner as it might help Young's move to FS, but I really don't think a CB pick is going to have an immediate impact on the defense the way a FS, OLB or DT would at 14 or even later if we trade back.

Greer and Porter will start for us in 09'.

You might want to check that hands statement. Go look at his Int's. I think that his big negative is his lack of interceptions.

He had 10 in his career... Jenkins finished with 11. :shrug:

Or it could be that not many teams threw at him. he HAD to have hands for them to put him at WR. Plus the NFLN guys said he has good hands.

I really don't care if Butler is the best corner. I don't want a corner, I want a FS, OLB or DT. I won't complain if we end up with a corner as it might help Young's move to FS, but I really don't think a CB pick is going to have an immediate impact on the defense the way a FS, OLB or DT would at 14 or even later if we trade back.

Greer and Porter will start for us in 09'.

I agree with this entire post. :9:

Just some observations...

Based on his raw numbers, yes. Butler has good size and speed, and his vertical leap was the best at this year&#8217;s Combine. But he didn&#8217;t have a strong senior year, going without an interception and breaking up just four passes. Some could argue that he didn&#8217;t make those plays because teams consistently threw away from him, but others might argue that playmakers will come up with plays regardless.

Bill Belichick got an up-close look at Butler during UConn&#8217;s pro day two weeks ago, as he reportedly worked closely with the Huskies&#8217; defensive backs during the session. A two-time team captain, Butler has good instincts, is athletic enough to be a cover corner and aware enough to play zone as well. His loose hips help him keep up with receivers, and he has a good closing burst.

Butler missed the final two games of Connecticut&#8217;s season with a knee sprain, but showed at the Senior Bowl that he was past it. Scouts say Butler can get pushed off by receivers who are bigger or stronger than he is, and that he can allow too much cushion in man coverage.

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo-20090406-draft-darius-butler.ab0e047b.html

Bottom Line: All things considered, Butler looks like a great NFL prospect &#8211; something I&#8217;ve never been able to say about a UConn product. He has some physical limitations, but he&#8217;s a shutdown corner that can fit in with most defenses. He&#8217;s been graded out by all the people who do this for a living as a first-to-second-round prospect, and I wouldn&#8217;t be surprised if he sneaks into the bottom half of the first round.

The cornerback crop is pretty weak this year, so Miami may have to scoop him up in the first round or trade up in the second to grab him. Considering the success the Dolphins had with former UConn guard Donald Thomas, who I heard was in the mix for a starting spot before going down for the season, Butler (a Fort Lauderdale native) would be a great pick for Miami.

While I&#8217;m throwing out praise, I&#8217;d like to thank the Phins and all their supporters for knocking the Patriots out of the playoff last season. As a Pats hater ever since Robert Kraft used Hartford to get a new stadium in Foxboro approved, it brought me weeks worth of joy. And I think I speak for all of Connecticut when I say we&#8217;re all grateful for this guy.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2009/4/8/826183/scouting-the-draft-darius-butler

Analysis
Positives: Adequate height for the position. ... Versatile athlete capable of playing in various defensive schemes. ... Instinctive. ... Good recognition in zone. ... Legitimate cover corner athleticism. ... Very good straight-line speed. ... Loose hips to turn and run with receivers. ... Shows a late burst to close. ... Excellent vertical, can get into position for jump balls and make a play on the ball. ... When playing off, he can shadow his man on slants and over the middle. ... Good hands for the interception. ... Played receiver at times as a senior to take advantage of his playmaking ability. ... Gets his shoulder on the ball to force fumbles. ... Closes quickly and wraps up to prevent gains after catch. ... Gets into the pile to assist in tackles. ... Holds up blocks to force quick screens inside. ... Has the straight-line speed and hands to be an effective kick returner. ... Proved his health with a strong week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

Negatives: Very lanky with thin hips. ... Not particularly strong on the line or able to get off blocks. ... Bit of a duck-and-swipe tackler. ... Does not always play to timed speed, as quicker receivers can get separation downfield. ... Can get pushed off easily by bigger, stronger receivers. ... Allows too much cushion in off man coverage. ... Missed the final two regular-season games in 2008 with a knee sprain.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles...profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

I think Vontae Davis is the best CB and will prove it in the pros, but he is going to be a headache of TO proportions...

who was the Defensive Back they showed a clip of on NFL Network that Sean Payton was working drills with. I can't remember which one it was but was curious as to why Peyton was interacting.

who was the Defensive Back they showed a clip of on NFL Network that Sean Payton was working drills with. I can't remember which one it was but was curious as to why Peyton was interacting.

I missed that clip, now I'm curious. Anyone know?

I personally think Alphonso Smith is gonna be the best corner to come out this draft. Remember his name.

Alphonso Smith reminds me of Daymeion "Dante" Hughes. Not in terms of their game but in terms of people looking at college production rather than how said corner will transition to the NFL

I do like Butler, but I'm still on the Jenkins bandwagon. If Jenkins goes before we pick, I wouldn't mind if we picked Butler somewhere in this draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom