The future of football practice (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The future of football practice

The idea that could spark a football revolution first stirred in the fall of 1999, from a chair in Steve Spurrier’s Gainesville office.

Teevens was Florida’s running back coach at the time. After practice one day, he sat down with Spurrier to discuss the team's depth at the position and the way reps should be handled in practice. Then Spurrier said something that would ignite a movement two decades later.

"Get them to game day," his boss told him.

The idea was simple enough. In fact, Teevens thought it up after watching his son control a toy car with a joystick. He wondered if someone could create a much larger version and strap a tackling bag to the top. He funded a graduate program at Dartmouth's Thayer School of Engineering to see what, if anything, was possible.

The latest version of the MVP—the third generation—weighs roughly 180 pounds and is capable of running a 40-yard dash in around 4.7 seconds, according to Teevens. They have constructed it to move and feel like a football player.

Pretty interesting tech and I can see where it would really get defenders to focus on tackling technique and skills. The bonus is those big hits are possible much more safely at least in practice. The long game is when they can teach the MVP's to hand off, take a hand off, pass and catch then football could become an actual video game made live action robotics.

In before the "may as well give them all flags" brigade arrives.

The future of football practice

Pretty interesting tech and I can see where it would really get defenders to focus on tackling technique and skills. The bonus is those big hits are possible much more safely at least in practice. The long game is when they can teach the MVP's to hand off, take a hand off, pass and catch then football could become an actual video game made live action robotics.

Be careful about what you speak. heck the owners could get rid of the players and football would be all computers and robotics. Imagine the violence. Brees could play QB till he's 60 controlling his robot from the press box :no:

Week 5 Injury Report: Star QB Lost his head in the 3rd quarter - literally. On Monday, a replacement head was installed and he will be 100% for Week 6."

That's a very interesting read.

Worthy of not to me: Dartmouth went 0-10 in 2008 and 2-9 in 2009. The no tackling rule went into effect in 2010, and their on field performance has improved somewhat steadily (6-4, 5-5, 6-4, 6-4, 8-2, 9-1), culminating in their first conference title since 1996 and the number one ranked defense in the nation.

That's a very interesting read.

Worthy of not to me: Dartmouth went 0-10 in 2008 and 2-9 in 2009. The no tackling rule went into effect in 2010, and their on field performance has improved somewhat steadily (6-4, 5-5, 6-4, 6-4, 8-2, 9-1), culminating in their first conference title since 1996 and the number one ranked defense in the nation.

I think the lower wear and tear on players along with the better reps in practice make a lot of sense.

In before the "may as well give them all flags" brigade arrives.

they still tackle but not each other which has to have some good effects on the body. I can see this gaining ground and be standards real soon. improve on the technique of tackling without having to hit a person. saves your body for the real hitting on game day. don't really see any downside.

they still tackle but not each other which has to have some good effects on the body. I can see this gaining ground and be standards real soon. improve on the technique of tackling without having to hit a person. saves your body for the real hitting on game day. don't really see any downside.

I don't either but the "football today is soft" group will probably disagree.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eGDBR2L5kzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I could watch a live action version of this ...

1181242101198.png

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IxDUCaUYhnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Some people have said that I am against football. No, I'm not. It's my profession." -- Buddy Teevens

I know some Tulane fans who'd disagree.

Be careful about what you speak. heck the owners could get rid of the players and football would be all computers and robotics. Imagine the violence. Brees could play QB till he's 60 controlling his robot from the press box :no:

Week 5 Injury Report: Star QB Lost his head in the 3rd quarter - literally. On Monday, a replacement head was installed and he will be 100% for Week 6."
"The player has a virus" - Sean Payton

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom