The have been only 32 times where a team has had 35 or more first downs (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
In the game vs Minnesota, we racked up 36 first downs. So it got me to thinking where that ranked all time in NFL history, knowing we had set the record at 40.

Drew Brees had led a Saints offense 5 such times with 35 or more first downs. In just the last 10 seasons, mind you.

Saints - 5
Chiefs - 2
Patriots - 2
Steelers - 2
Broncos - 2
Dolphins - 2
Rams - 2
Texans - 2
Packers - 2
Bengals - 2
Redskins - 2
7 Teams - 1

Again this is the entire history of football, and Drew Brees all by himself has more than lapped the field twice over in just the last 10 seasons.

Curious if we (or any of those teams) lost any of the games in those circumstances. That is surgical and a defense should shine most of the time with an offense doing that.

edit: disregard. I see some loses in the link.

Curious if we (or any of those teams) lost any of the games in those circumstances. That is surgical and a defense should shine most of the time with an offense doing that.

edit: disregard. I see some loses in the link.
Explain to me how the Jags had 36 first downs and only managed to score 14 points? And they only lost 17-14. The most frustrating loss in NFL history I suppose?

Explain to me how the Jags had 36 first downs and only managed to score 14 points? And they only lost 17-14. The most frustrating loss in NFL history I suppose?
The most frustrating loss by a team in NFL history may have been the Saints versus the Dallas Cowboys on September 25, 1983. In that game , Kenny Stabler was QB for the Saints, and Danny White was his opposite number for the Cowboys.

The Saints led 20-13 with around 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The Saints drove deep into Dallas territory, where the drive stalled. They called on Morten Andersen to kick a FG and extend the lead to 10 points. The FG attempt was blocked, and a Cowboys defender picked up the ball and returned it 62 yards for a TD. 20-19 Saints. Then the Cowboys missed the extra point, and the score remained 20-19. The Cowboys kicked off to the Saints, who failed to move the ball, and had to punt. The Cowboys took the ball over around their own 35 yard line, and drove down deep into Saints' territory around the 2 minute warning. On third down, from the Saints' 4 yard line, Danny White threw a pass into the end zone, which was picked off by LB Dennis "Dirt" Winston. Winston tried to run it out of the end zone, but was tackled on the 2-yard line. On the next play, Stabler was tackled in the end zone for a safety, and the Saints lost 21-20.

That was probably the strangest way to lose a game I can think of, probably stranger than the River City Relay game in Jacksonville.

The most frustrating loss by a team in NFL history may have been the Saints versus the Dallas Cowboys on September 25, 1983. In that game , Kenny Stabler was QB for the Saints, and Danny White was his opposite number for the Cowboys.

The Saints led 20-13 with around 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The Saints drove deep into Dallas territory, where the drive stalled. They called on Morten Andersen to kick a FG and extend the lead to 10 points. The FG attempt was blocked, and a Cowboys defender picked up the ball and returned it 62 yards for a TD. 20-19 Saints. Then the Cowboys missed the extra point, and the score remained 20-19. The Cowboys kicked off to the Saints, who failed to move the ball, and had to punt. The Cowboys took the ball over around their own 35 yard line, and drove down deep into Saints' territory around the 2 minute warning. On third down, from the Saints' 4 yard line, Danny White threw a pass into the end zone, which was picked off by LB Dennis "Dirt" Winston. Winston tried to run it out of the end zone, but was tackled on the 2-yard line. On the next play, Stabler was tackled in the end zone for a safety, and the Saints lost 21-20.

That was probably the strangest way to lose a game I can think of, probably stranger than the River City Relay game in Jacksonville.
Don't forget the Rams game where Bum decided to punt late in the forth quarter, with a playoff birth on the line. They get good field position and march down for the game winning goal F.G. Robbing us of our first playoff appearance.

But yeah I remember that game. It was a shame watching Stabler try to finish up one last season. Especially since he was playing for us.

OMG, how can a thread get me so giddy and warm inside get turned into suicidal depression? Please stop!

---
Ok then I won't mention the time when the Saints were about to set themselves up to kick the game winning FG against the mighty Washington Redskins, until one of our offensive lineman spit in the face of a Washington defender.

Ok then I won't mention the time when the Saints were about to set themselves up to kick the game winning FG against the mighty Washington Redskins, until one of our offensive lineman spit in the face of a Washington defender.
I think it was Dombrowski clocking Dexter Manley, b/c Manley, who was always a dirty SOB, spit in Dombrowski’s face.

As always, the refs saw (and penalized) the retaliation, not the instigation.

We had 21 first downs in the first half and only face 2 3rd downs in that half.

We even had 14 first downs in the first quarter. I was wondering if that was a record but I couldn't find that record when I was googling it. Maybe someone else knows better search terms and can find out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom