The Lie of "medium-high" heat (1 Viewer)

Brad Mojo

Funkier than you.
Reaction score
Just like recipe writers seem to be out of touch with how long it takes to caramelize onions, I think they also are out of touch with a normal household's stove heat output.

Caveat: I wish I had a gas stove, but I am stuck with an electric. But my findings have been consistent over the last 4 - 5 electric stove tops I have had.

Almost every recipe I read calls for cooking over medium-high heat. My stove goes from 1.0 (low) to 10.0 (high). So if 5 is medium then medium-high would be 7.5. If I cooked anything at 7.5 I might burn my house down.

In practice, I can simmer at 2.8 - 3.0. I can pan fry around 3.5. If I take it up to 4, the oil gets too hot and the food burns.

I caramelize onions at 2.8. I'll heat them up initially at 3.5 until they are going good and then drop down to 3. After a while even this is too hot and I'll drop them to 2.8. If left on at 3.5 or 4 they will quickly sound like I am deep frying a turkey.

Beans/stews/soups/chili can be brought up to simmer at 4.0, but then it better be dropped down to 2.8 or 3.0 or it will be at a high boil and make a huge mess.

The only thing I ever take above 5 is if I am boiling water for pasta. Once boiling I still have to drop it down or it will boil over. When making kids Kraft mac & cheese a 6.5 will hold a hard roiling boil. A 7.0 or above will definitely boil over.

So why does everything call for a medium-high heat? Perhaps the temperature of my 3.5 is considered medium-high in the culinary world. But if so, then why the heck are appliance makers installing potential death traps in everyone's kitchen?

I think it really depends on the stove. On a typical 30 inch gas stove that I used to cook on, I often found that the recommended temps generally matched what a recipe called for. When we renovated and upgraded to a 36 inch stove with more BTUs output, I found that I rarely needed to turn the heat up all the way, and on some of the burners (they are different sizes/outputs) even the lowest setting would produce more heat than I needed. It could also be that my cooking has evolved and I am more conscious of the temps I am cooking at, but there is definitely a difference between appliances.

I am amazed that you get that kind of output on an electric stove. The one that I usually cook on seems to take forever to get to temperature.

I have a flat top, not one of the old ones with a metal coil that you put the pots on. One of the "burners" even has a "turbo-boil" setting, but that gets way too hot way too fast.

1569438332009.png

I have a flat top, not one of the old ones with a metal coil that you put the pots on. One of the "burners" even has a "turbo-boil" setting, but that gets way too hot way too fast.

Is that induction?

Just a standard. I guess the flat surface is just naturally more efficient than a metal coil (more heated surface area touching the pot). It's good enough that I'm not even tempted to spend the big bucks on an induction. It would be overkill.

I think it really depends on the stove. On a typical 30 inch gas stove that I used to cook on, I often found that the recommended temps generally matched what a recipe called for. When we renovated and upgraded to a 36 inch stove with more BTUs output, I found that I rarely needed to turn the heat up all the way, and on some of the burners (they are different sizes/outputs) even the lowest setting would produce more heat than I needed. It could also be that my cooking has evolved and I am more conscious of the temps I am cooking at, but there is definitely a difference between appliances.

I am amazed that you get that kind of output on an electric stove. The one that I usually cook on seems to take forever to get to temperature.

i always thought the electric stove was good for lighting my cigarette when my lighter wouldnt work.

that would do it on 2.

oh i miss my younger days. simple life. sleep, work, party...repeat.

Just like recipe writers seem to be out of touch with how long it takes to caramelize onions, I think they also are out of touch with a normal household's stove heat output.

Caveat: I wish I had a gas stove, but I am stuck with an electric. But my findings have been consistent over the last 4 - 5 electric stove tops I have had.

Almost every recipe I read calls for cooking over medium-high heat. My stove goes from 1.0 (low) to 10.0 (high). So if 5 is medium then medium-high would be 7.5. If I cooked anything at 7.5 I might burn my house down.

In practice, I can simmer at 2.8 - 3.0. I can pan fry around 3.5. If I take it up to 4, the oil gets too hot and the food burns.

I caramelize onions at 2.8. I'll heat them up initially at 3.5 until they are going good and then drop down to 3. After a while even this is too hot and I'll drop them to 2.8. If left on at 3.5 or 4 they will quickly sound like I am deep frying a turkey.

Beans/stews/soups/chili can be brought up to simmer at 4.0, but then it better be dropped down to 2.8 or 3.0 or it will be at a high boil and make a huge mess.

The only thing I ever take above 5 is if I am boiling water for pasta. Once boiling I still have to drop it down or it will boil over. When making kids Kraft mac & cheese a 6.5 will hold a hard roiling boil. A 7.0 or above will definitely boil over.

So why does everything call for a medium-high heat? Perhaps the temperature of my 3.5 is considered medium-high in the culinary world. But if so, then why the heck are appliance makers installing potential death traps in everyone's kitchen?

What if medium-high means inbetween 5-10? Medium is 5, high is 10. So medium-high means 5-10?

Like at equal intervals he’s supposed to flip between 5 & 10?

If someone said they'll get back to you within 5-10 minutes that means it could be 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 minutes so medium-high heat could mean the same thing. Maybe it's stove dependent and that part isn't mentioned with recipes?

If someone said they'll get back to you within 5-10 minutes that means it could be 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 minutes so medium-high heat could mean the same thing. Maybe it's stove dependent and that part isn't mentioned with recipes?
So Shroedingers heat setting?

Ahh, perhaps, but that would mean you can't know the state of what you set right? Put a cat in a box and put lethal toxins in it and until you see what happened the cat is both dead and alive.
Right until you eat it, you don’t know what temp you cooked at
At both temps the cat is probably dead, but it’s either well done or tartar

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom