Movie Tim Burton’s Dumbo (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Curious about this one. It’s Tim Burton for pete’s sake and Michael Keaton can be fantastic with the right filmmaker. It appears to be visually stunning.

The reviews are mixed, and I've always questioned how they were going to pad it out because the original cartoon was barely over an hour. But I'll be there.

The reviews are mixed, and I've always questioned how they were going to pad it out because the original cartoon was barely over an hour. But I'll be there.

I’m guessing it’s a bit too intense for my six-year old (turned six yesterday). Let me know if you see it and think it’s okay.

Disney’s certainly found a market for these live action versions of their animated movies

They don’t need to come up with an original idea for the next 50 years

Curious what the drunk pink elephant scene will look like - I’ve always thought it was creepy

Also wonder what they’ll do with the crows

Disney’s certainly found a market for these live action versions of their animated movies

They don’t need to come up with an original idea for the next 50 years

Curious what the drunk pink elephant scene will look like - I’ve always thought it was creepy

Also wonder what they’ll do with the crows

Most of their older stories are hundreds of years old anyway.

Was trying to see if I was gonna take my six year old to Dumbo today. Saw this review.

Tim Burton’s live action remake of Dumbo marks an outstanding technical achievement on the part of Walt Disney Studios. The big-eared baby elephant is entirely computer generated, but it is almost impossible to tell while watching the film. The pachyderm’s skin is beautifully textured, it walks like it has weight, and every emotion shows in its remarkably lifelike eyes. Curiosity, fear, sorrow, despair, excitement, hope, and happiness all shine from Dumbo’s limpid gaze. Somehow, the tech geniuses at Disney managed to give this pixel and byte elephant a soul.

Sadly, Dumbo is the only character in this flawed remake for whom that can be said. The other characters are so flat it feels like they were written and acted by computer algorithms. Ironically Dumbo feels like a living elephant surrounded by CGI sets and characters. The child actors (Nico Parker and Finley Hobbins) are particularly bad; whether they lack talent or were poorly directed is hard to tell. But Colin Farrell acts like he’s uninterested in his part, Danny DeVito seems to be reprising his role from Taxi, and Michael Keaton is the only one who is occasionally fun to watch. It is possible that these are simply the musings of a jaded film critic, but I am not optimistic that other viewers will be charmed by this production.

Given that the Jungle Book remake is in heavy rotation on the cable networks, I think I'll pass until Dumbo does the same.

The trailer for The Lion King look amazing, but at first glance it looks like they're not going to take too many chances. The trailer is a scene-by-scene retelling. If that's the case, what's the point?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom