Tipton 2023 College Highlights (1 Viewer)

I'm not pro at watching film or scouting players, but I have to be honest. What I see there is a guy with great hands who does a very good job of tracking the ball in the air. I don't see blazing speed or amazing route running. And that matches the scouting reports I saw regarding his college tape. For example: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mason-tipton/32005449-5062-8557-462c-64c42c657cb3

That being said, the clips I saw of him running routes in camp looked like a different player. You saw the blazing speed and he ran great routes. Looks like he's a guy who really worked hard after college and blossomed as a route runner and found a way to put his blazing speed on the field. The fact that to my untrained eye he improved so much from college actually makes me like him more than had he just dominated non-scholarship level competition in the Ivy League.

I also like the fact that he has naturally great hands and the ball tracking ability. They can work on that but it's great when it just comes natural.

I'm not pro at watching film or scouting players, but I have to be honest. What I see there is a guy with great hands who does a very good job of tracking the ball in the air. I don't see blazing speed or amazing route running. And that matches the scouting reports I saw regarding his college tape. For example: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mason-tipton/32005449-5062-8557-462c-64c42c657cb3

That being said, the clips I saw of him running routes in camp looked like a different player. You saw the blazing speed and he ran great routes. Looks like he's a guy who really worked hard after college and blossomed as a route runner and found a way to put his blazing speed on the field. The fact that to my untrained eye he improved so much from college actually makes me like him more than had he just dominated non-scholarship level competition in the Ivy League.

I also like the fact that he has naturally great hands and the ball tracking ability. They can work on that but it's great when it just comes natural.
His ball tracking and body adjustments are phenomenal. He can contort his body to maintain position to make these catches. It was hard to watch this "highlight" reel because he goes off screen so much. I am excited about his potential!

His ball tracking and body adjustments are phenomenal. He can contort his body to maintain position to make these catches. It was hard to watch this "highlight" reel because he goes off screen so much. I am excited about his potential!

I don't want to be taken wrong. I am excited about his potential too. His hands, body control, and ability to track the ball look elite. I just expected that with his 4.3 speed he would be running away for the guys he was playing against and I didn't really see that. But, that could be about a limitation of the arm of his QB, the offense they run, or he just needed to learn to run better routes and put his speed on the field. Either way, I think he has great potential.

He talks about having always been a deep threat, but I kind of think he has the skill set to be a really good slot receiver with the ability to also take it deep. I hate to labels guys as like other guys, but he kind of reminds me of a much faster Lance Moore. Which would obviously be amazing.

Last edited:
Tipton finished with 132 career catches for 2,067 yards with 19 touchdowns and only seven drops. He averaged 15.7 yards per catch in his career.

Bold added…I love guys that get open and don’t drop the ball. 4.3 speed at his combine. Good thing we didn’t try to sneak him to the practice squad.

What he needs to work on most is YAC. A good QB can help by getting the ball to him in stride. The weight room can help too.

He reminds me of Chris Olave, maybe a little stiffer in the hips.

I think he already has a more solid frame than Olave, but I don't see Olave's level of quickness. I think he has about 10 lbs. on Olave and it all appears to be muscle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom